Proper heat sink surface

alanstadtmueller

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Does the heat sink surface have to be the same size as the cpu surface? Someone is trying to tell me the heat sink surface can be smaller than cpu surface. Working in the industry for 40 years, I have never seen cpu surface not covered by heat sink surface. My cpu fan went out on my amd fx8300. The one I got from ebay looks like it fits an A6 - 25% smaller cpu. Smaller than the one I installed when I built the system. I would just transfer the fan, but it too is smaller and won't mount on my existing heat sink. Seller is claiming that is normal and ok.

Solution
Just get another fan and use the same heatsink. Make sure it is 14 CMs instead of 12 or less.
And yeah, I mean it can be bigger, but never smaller (or at least i think so).
BTW which cooler do you have (the old one)? Maybe get an 212 or something cheap and new, I use one and it's ok for the price. @4.4Ghz always below 65 on load. And quite silent.

David093

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Just get another fan and use the same heatsink. Make sure it is 14 CMs instead of 12 or less.
And yeah, I mean it can be bigger, but never smaller (or at least i think so).
BTW which cooler do you have (the old one)? Maybe get an 212 or something cheap and new, I use one and it's ok for the price. @4.4Ghz always below 65 on load. And quite silent.

Solution