[SOLVED] Proper PCIe cables for MSI RTX 2080 TI Ventus ( Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W PSU)

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Hello guys ! I read many reviews about necessary cables for powering an RTX 2080 TI GPU, and my conclusion after other people unhappy experiences - fried GPUs and PSUs - is to use two separate PCIe cables ( one for each 8 pin GPU connector), instead of a single cable with two 8 pin connectors.
However, I saw a little confusion in many reviews on Youtube, about the purpose of these types of PCIe cables, even an experienced PC builder wich used only a single PCIe cable with two 8 pin connectors for powering an EVGA RTX 2080 TI.
Now, my Seasonic PCIe provided cables are:
  • 2 cables with one 6+2 pin connectors - the first picture
  • 4 cables with two daisy chained 6+2 pin connectors - the second picture
I am unsure if those 2 cables with one 6+2 pin connectors are proper to power without voltage issues, my RTX 2080 TI GPU, wich have two 8 pin connectors, since the 6+2 pin configuration of the PCIe connector cables are bridged ( the +2 pins are bridged from the 6 pins).
I saw 6+2 pin connectors wich are not bridged like mine existing too, and I am wondering if mine are good for my 2080 TI.
Kh4IUhR.jpg
TB1mnP0.jpg

Last edited:

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
I have a GTX 1080 and am using the two cables. I don't think it really matters, but they are easier to work with, although a pain when it comes to cable management.
You have right, aestethics and cable management is easyer with a single cable, but the functionality is on the first place. Maybe for a GTX 1080 doesn’t matters, but seems to matter for an RTX 2080 TI. Look for other experiences when was used a single PCIe cable with two 8 pin connectors for power an RTX 2080 TI.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9ofm5v/psu_cables_rtx_2080_ti_dont_be_

Reactions: coastie65
Ahhhhh. I hadn't heard that. Glad you posted that article. I don't particularly like daisy chaining anyway. I just went through that on an upgrade trying to het my CPU power cables plugged in. Those things are daisy chained ( two 4 pin plugs ). I run that from the PSU, up behind the tray with the Motherboard and in at the top and over the edge of the motherboard. I was unaware of the stability thing until you posted that as I have not heard anything about that. I may have one of those cables as I use a Modular PSU. I did that last Upgrade and friend said, "What !?!?!? you didn't move to the RTX 2080 Ti. I told him, nope, but if he wanted to pay for it, I would be more than happy too.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Ahhhhh. I hadn't heard that. Glad you posted that article. I don't particularly like daisy chaining anyway. I just went through that on an upgrade trying to het my CPU power cables plugged in. Those things are daisy chained ( two 4 pin plugs ). I run that from the PSU, up behind the tray with the Motherboard and in at the top and over the edge of the motherboard. I was unaware of the stability thing until you posted that as I have not heard anything about that. I may have one of those cables as I use a Modular PSU. I did that last Upgrade and friend said, "What !?!?!? you didn't move to the RTX 2080 Ti. I told him, nope, but if he wanted to pay for it, I would be more than happy too.
You’re welcome ! Look here how two PCIe cables improve the overall performance of a GTX 1080 TI barelly like yours :
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UL7KIVI_hJg&t=371

Last edited:
Reactions: coastie65
You’re welcome ! Look here how two PCIe cables improve the overall performance of a GTX 1080 TI barelly like yours :
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=UL7KIVI_hJg&t=371
That was good. I have run that in the past. Like he said, the numbers told the tale, but in practice you probably wouldn't see it. That is the thing with benchmarks, it is mostly psychological. The numbers are good, but in practice, you probably wouldn't see it. The Stability issue is something else though.

Reactions: Violett
Hello guys ! I read many reviews about necessary cables for powering an RTX 2080 TI GPU, and my conclusion after other people unhappy experiences - fried GPUs and PSUs - is to use two separate PCIe cables ( one for each 8 pin GPU connector), instead of a single cable with two 8 pin connectors.
However, I saw a little confusion in many reviews on Youtube, about the purpose of these types of PCIe cables, even an experienced PC builder wich used only a single PCIe cable with two 8 pin connectors for powering an EVGA RTX 2080 TI.
Now, my Seasonic PCIe provided cables are:
  • 2 cables with one 6+2 pin connectors
  • 4 cables with two 6+2 pin connectors, like in the pictures
I am unsure if those 2 cables with one 6+2 pin connectors are proper to power without voltage issues, my RTX 2080 TI GPU, wich have two 8 pin connectors, since the 6+2 pin configuration of the PCIe connector cables are bridged ( the +2 pins are bridged from the 6 pins).
I saw 6+2 pin connectors wich are not bridged like mine existing too, and I am wondering if mine are good for my 2080 TI.
Kh4IUhR.jpg
TB1mnP0.jpg

Use 2 separate cables.

From the Seasonic Website.

pcie-installation1.jpg

They are stupid and shouldn't even have a YT channel or be giving any PC advice at all ever to anyone period.

Last edited:

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Use 2 separate cables.

From the Seasonic Website.

pcie-installation1.jpg

They are stupid and shouldn't even have a YT channel or be giving any PC advice at all ever to anyone period.
Thank you for your post. I was oriented at the first, even before posting this thread, to use two cables for my RTX 2080 TI.
I presented in the pictures above, the two types of PCIe cables wich was provided by Seasonic toghether with the PSU in the same box.
My question is if the two cables presented in the first picture are proper to be used for my GPU, since both have the +2 pins daisy chained with the other 6 pins.
I don’t wanted to show here in the forum, that bad clip posted on YT with using a single PCIe cable to power an EVGA RTX 2080 TI, because I don’t want to damage the image of the user, but if you are interesed, I can send you the link in a PM.

Thank you for your post. I was oriented at the first, even before posting this thread, to use two cables for my RTX 2080 TI.
I presented in the pictures above, the two types of PCIe cables wich was provided by Seasonic toghether with the PSU in the same box.
My question is if the two cables presented in the first picture are proper to be used for my GPU, since both have the +2 pins daisy chained with the other 6 pins.
I don’t wanted to show here in the forum, that bad clip posted on YT with using a single PCIe cable to power an EVGA RTX 2080 TI, because I don’t want to damage the image of the user, but if you are interesed, I can send you the link in a PM.

Yes I know they come with both types with the 1,000W.

Still hope they end up doing away with those stupid daisy chain cables in the future, that's all the PSU makers.

It was a BAD idea in the 1st place.

Violett

Great
Mar 17, 2019
Seasonic knows their products best.
Follow their advice and use the two cable recommendation.

Note that it is a recommendation, not a mandate.
There are likely some scenarios that would cause inconsistent power with a single cable.
I agree with you and @jankerson and I will use two cables. But what about the some kind of “daisy chained” way of the +2 pin connector added to the 6 connector at the cables with only one 6+2 connector ( the first picture in this thread ) ? Shoud I be worry about this ?

Last edited:
Not to worry.
A 6 pin connector can deliver 75w.
The +2 delivers an added 75w.
If the cable were not capable of 150w, it would only have a 6 pin plug on the end.
With Seasonic, you are buying a top quality well engineered psu.

Corsair pretty much says the same thing.

Was a thing with an RMX 850 and RTX 2080Ti and the questions came up, Corsair (Jonny Guru) said to use two separate 2 cables.

We are talking about a 350W+ GPU here.

Jonny_Guru.PNG

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019
Registered just to share really.

Recent new build, 3900x - X570 Meg Ace, MSI Gaming X Trio 2080Ti - 850w AeroCool Project 7 PSU.

When system under heavy load, heavy gaming at high resolutions & Ultra graphical settings - complete and immediate shutdown.
Usual suspects obviously; PSU, GPU, Mobo, Mem, Overheating...

Troubleshot each off (praying it wasn't the GPU tbh.

Hit all the forums, others experiencing similar.

Anyway - Solution for me was PSU change, NOT that the AeroCool was faulty or not of high enough output, but more that the PCIe power outputs on this model are only 6 pin going to 8 pin for the GPU (this GPU takes, 2 x 6+2 pin AND 1 x 6 pin) even used independent cables for each GPU input, still couldn't cope. I think it just lacked sufficient delivery when it was required.

My key test was running Prime95 & Heaven benchmark at 2560 x 1440 Ultra graphics - never reached the end.

New PSU = Seasonic Prime Ultra 1000w Platinum - PCIe outputs are 8 pin going to GPU 6+2 and single 6 pin input connectors.

Problem solved - Prime 95 & Heaven now run together continuously and faultlessly ALL games too.

Moral of the tale - Buy Seasonic, seriously.

Hope this helps someone, because troubleshooting this was a real pain.