Proper PNY GTS 250 1gig driver install on fresh reformat

Chiwarrior

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
Hello all I have recently installed an Asus P5N-D Motherboard with an Intel Core 2 duo E8400 I got the system up and running but when I go to install my video driver for the GTS 250 it installs and I reboot and all I get is a black screen. I know the card is find since I have been using it in my previous system which was up and runnign yesterday. This seems like a driver install issue. Any and all help is appreciated as I am reformatting the PC again as we speak to give it another shot. Thanks in advance

Chiwarrior

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2010
I am running Windows XP home 32-bit and the driver I'm trying the the one on the CD that came with the card which is 182.08. I also tried the newest downloadable driver from the Nvidia website with no luck. It is all probably good to add that windows does boot since I can hear the welcome jingle but I get nothing out of the video with the GTS 250 drivers installed.

When you installed the new motherboard, did you do a fresh install of the OS? It is best if you do. Unless your old motherboard had the same chipset, lots of things can go wrong.

On the fresh install, use the latest nvidia drivers from their web site.

At the very least, clean out any old video driver/s that you might have. Here's how:

1) Download driversweeper to your desktop, or wherever you can find it easily.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html

2) Download your new driver to the same place.
3) Add/remove programs, uninstall any Nvidia or ATI vga drivers and programs.
4) Boot into safe mode. Press F8 repeatedly while booting to enter safe mode. Your display resolution may be minimal.
5) Run driversweeper. Check the selection boxes for the removal of all nvidia vga drivers and ati drivers.
6) Rerun driversweeper. All such components should be gone.
7) Install the new driver from the desktop or saved location.