Proper protection needed for my pc

xTorpeter

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013
Hi guys im planning to build a gaming pc. I live in the philippines which sometimes have bronwouts where the lights would dim for half a sec and rarely blackouts when there is a storm. I would not use my pc during storms. But im worried on what protection i should use as i dont want my pc to be broken. Our sockets dont have the third prong which as far as i know is the grounding. So can you guys help me out, which do i need. Would a surge protector work even if the third prong isnt there? Should i have an AVR or a Surge Protector or a UPS?

Solution
Yeah, a UPS will be the best option. A surge protector will only protect against some large power spikes and will not really help against brownout conditions. Plus, if the power goes out completely, the UPS can keep the system running for a few minutes or more on battery power, giving you a chance to save your work/progress, and power down the system properly. Many UPS models will also include a USB connection that can notify the system to automatically power itself down in the event of an outage, if you're not around to do it yourself.

xTorpeter

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

I plan on getting a seasonic s12 620w

xTorpeter

Honorable
Dec 18, 2013

WIll this ups also take care of the brownouts and surge if in case it happens?

Yeah, a UPS will be the best option. A surge protector will only protect against some large power spikes and will not really help against brownout conditions. Plus, if the power goes out completely, the UPS can keep the system running for a few minutes or more on battery power, giving you a chance to save your work/progress, and power down the system properly. Many UPS models will also include a USB connection that can notify the system to automatically power itself down in the event of an outage, if you're not around to do it yourself.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS