Question Proper thunderbolt usage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

moliminous2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
So I'm a bit new to this and I'm just getting my shopping list together. Esentially my computer is on the 3rd floor and I wanted to set up an area on the second floor where my living room is, where I can use it for my needs. Lots of vr and gaming at the same time pretty much. But I'm not sure how to do it. I don't want a second pc. I was looking at using Corning tb3 50m to a dock, cal digit ts4. But I'll be honest... idk how thunderbolt works fully. And my research is mixed. My gpu is an rtx3090 which should support tb to my knowledge but is it better to connect to a mother board?
The dock for add info, will just be needed to display the game screen, run the vive down there and a few other USB devices. I want to be able to esentially controll the pc fully from either points.

My current pc specs are
64gb ram
Ryzen 3900x
Rtx3090
Sabertooth z87 motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated. If I need to upgrade things let me know. In for penny in for a pound.

moliminous2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
Any info or recommendations needs a listing of the actual parts.

But...what are you expecting this Thunderbolt to do for you?
Well like I said in OP, esentially work as a connection from the pc to living room, where I can play the game, run the vr etc. Esentially like a remote control for the upstairs pc, that also can take usb.

USAFRet

Titan
Um what? Not sure where you got that? I even mention the 50 meter cord I would use, and it's not even the only brand. This has been done multiple times on linus techtips like up to 3 years ago lol?
"I was looking at using Corning tb3 50m to a dock "

There is a lot of stuff that is sold, that is not actually workable.

If you see it on LTT, then do it exactly as they state.

moliminous2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
And I am completely ready to be proven 100% wrong.
I dont think you are tbh. You haven't talked once about the cable I specifically mention. You brought up tb4 when I'm talking about tb3. You provided nothing that contradicts li ues video, the company or the merit of others who use it. And you're not even adress my main question which was just if it's better to use a mobo connection or graphics card one

Last edited:

moliminous2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
I wouldn't have said that if I wasn't.

So basically, you want to have keyboard/mouse/video, long range.
PC upstairs, screen and control downstairs.

Correct?

Other than text of "Corning tb3 50m ", do you have a link to the specific cable you're looking at?
That is the specific cable, it's even the one I. The video? It's an optical one by that company. Corning. It's a thunderbolt 3 cable.

moliminous2

Reputable
Dec 3, 2018
"TBF", $549 for a cable is outside the wheelhouse of most people, including and especially me.

That is why I did not know of it.

Nor are you likely to get many, if any, people who have actually used that.
what? the price has nothing to do with it, i mean i literally gave you the name and videos multiple times and you kept saying it didn't exist lol. and i can see tons of people with and who use it, that wasn't ever my question lol. but feel free to admit you were wrong i guess, since you said you were open to be proven wrong

USAFRet

Titan
what? the price has nothing to do with it, i mean i literally gave you the name and videos multiple times and you kept saying it didn't exist lol. and i can see tons of people with and who use it, that wasn't ever my question lol. but feel free to admit you were wrong i guess, since you said you were open to be proven wrong
And I did.

"That is why I did not know of it. "

Good luck.
It will probably work.

USAFRet

Titan
it literally has tons of reviews, and videos from of the most respected tech creators testing it lol. you can't just admit you were wrong lol
I am absolutely, categorically, stating that I was wrong regarding the existence of a 50 meter Thunderbolt 3 cable.
I did not know it existed, because a $549 cable is not in my wheelhouse.

Whether it works for your particular situation?
I have no further comment.
I do not know.

Fair enough?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021
it literally has tons of reviews, and videos from of the most respected tech creators testing it lol. you can't just admit you were wrong lol
What was the whole purpose of your question? Are you trying to get advice or to be condescending? Someone offered you help, give them a little respect. A $500+ cable is not something that myself or most people would have experienced with. If it has tons of information saying it works, then you already have your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS