[SOLVED] Proper way to create a Windows 10 (or 11) boot disk?

Minaz

Commendable
Sep 20, 2021
I just simply want to make a boot disk in case I need to troubleshoot. I tried searching but it seems that most of the sites for example this one: How to Create a Windows 10 Bootable USB : HelloTech How want me to use the Media Creation Tool to "create installation media." I don't actually want to install Windows 10(/11), I just want to boot into the command prompt in case I need to run something without starting Windows on my HDD or if for some reason I can't get in.
So is there a proper way to do this?

Solution
You don't need the install media to boot to command prompt.

From the Windows desktop, Start -> Settings under Update & Security choose Recovery
Click Restart now button under Advanced startup, and your computer will restart to the Choose an option screen
Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options and then the Command Prompt option

If for some reason your computer cannot start up several times, you will also be presented with the Choose an option screen so you can usually access command prompt even from a system that fails to boot Windows.

That said, there are extra tools and options on the install media so if you have a spare 16GB or 32GB USB stick, it is highly recommended...
You don't need the install media to boot to command prompt.

From the Windows desktop, Start -> Settings under Update & Security choose Recovery
Click Restart now button under Advanced startup, and your computer will restart to the Choose an option screen
Select Troubleshoot -> Advanced options and then the Command Prompt option

If for some reason your computer cannot start up several times, you will also be presented with the Choose an option screen so you can usually access command prompt even from a system that fails to boot Windows.

That said, there are extra tools and options on the install media so if you have a spare 16GB or 32GB USB stick, it is highly recommended to have one. You could then boot the USB to command prompt even if the disk is completely dead

Solution
Recovery environment is installed on HDD/SSD.
If your storage device has physically failed, then you won't be able to get into Recovery environment this way.

Having windows installation media will enable you to get into recovery environment even, if your storage device has failed.