Question Proper way to install M2 SSd with motherboard m2 heatsink?

adravas

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2012
I am new to the M2 form factor. I just received my Samsung 980 Pro ssd and my Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite. The mobo came with a heatsink for one of the M2 slots, but the heatsink is larger than the samsung ssd. What is the proper way to install the 980 with the mobo heatsink?

The picture attached shows my assumption: install another standoff mount that matches the size of the ssd, secure it with a screw. Then install the heatsink on top of the ssd where the other standoff mount is located and secure with another screw. Is this correct? (The heatsink will be placed on top of the SSD, but I placed it on the other slot to show more detail)

View: https://imgur.com/a/qGIQ1rT

I am aware that a heatsink is probably unnecessary.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020
I faced this same predicament as I did not build a PC for a few years and the last time I built one, M.2s weren't mainstream lol.

You are correct from what I have seen and eventually did.

Put a standoff matching the size of the M.2, screw in the M.2 into the standoff and then add the shield over it and screw the shield in with the other standoff.

Believe it or not, before I found a video that actually showed this, I simply had the shield holding down the M.2. I saw the video yesterday and immediately changed it. Don't make my mistake lol