Properly setting up SSD/HDD combo

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Just received my first SSD that I'd like to install in my Windows 8 build. I currently have it running a 1TB HDD. I've never messed with multiple drives, or, like I said, an SSD.

My thought is to install my OS and all programs on the SSD (120GB), and then use the HDD for all media, such as documents, videos, music, etc. I suppose everything under the 'Personal Folder' in my computer can stay on my HDD. I don't really do video editing much anymore, but I would think I could easily transfer files onto the SSD to work with as needed, then send back to the HDD for storage. I also do audio recording, I'm unsure if this can benefit from being run off the SSD.

As well, and I have searched, I haven't found much clear info about how to go about setting this up. Most info I find is about migrating a new system completely to a new SSD, and I also found a thread on this page about needing to transfer programs one by one, which makes no sense to me.

1. Is my described plan above, to install windows 8 and all programs onto the SSD, while partitioning the 'Personal Folder' and all media to the HDD, the most efficient option?

2. What's the best way to go about this?

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Great! So that leaves me with a few questions still.

1. Should I backup my whole system, and then move my media backup to a separate location.. format everything, and those do a fresh SSD install and restore (without the media)? I can't just simply do a full restore since my current HDD is taking up more than 120GB.

2. I suppose next step would be to do as in the article above and assign all my media folders to my HDD, at which point I can restore the media.

3. Does this method cause any doubling issues or any other file path errors? You'd think there would be a way to simply have the folder I want on my HDD, rather than doing a redirect.. no?

USAFRet

Titan
1. Clean install on the SSD. Once everything is running, then reconnect your HDD.
After that, you can move your data to were you want it, and do the Library redirect as needed.

2. Yes

3. I have not seen any issues. And it can be whatever folder you want. The Libraries have that functionality built in.

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks again for your help. By moving things where I want it, do you mean a simple drag/drop from my backup to SSD? I suppose once I do a clean install on the SSD, all I really need to do is migrate my programs since I'll be leaving everything else?

Will I need to, or should I, format my HDD to get rid of the OS on that drive, or is there some type of benefit to having the OS on both drives?

USAFRet

Titan

"Moving things" = your personal data. And yes, that can be just drag/drop.
Application will need to be reinstalled. You can't 'migrate' them.
A 120GB can probably hold most/all your applications besides games. Mine does.

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Yes the 120GB will definitely hold all my applications. I checked and my programs (/Programs and /Programs (x86)) only contain about 16Gb. So that's why I was going to just load everything aside from media to the SSD.

So applications need to be reinstalled. Meaning one by one I need to go into my programs, find the setup file, and install it to the SSD drive?

Also when I was looking into this a while ago I was always reading about partitioning. Is this an older term for older OS's, or is the assigning of folders as in your article essentially 'partitioning' my drives?

USAFRet

Titan
Meaning one by one I need to go into my programs, find the setup file, and install it to the SSD drive?
Yes.

Also when I was looking into this a while ago I was always reading about partitioning. Is this an older term for older OS's, or is the assigning of folders as in your article essentially 'partitioning' my drives?
Partitioning is mostly useless nowadays. You're essentially doing the same thing with multiple drives.

It used to be valuable when drive space was really expensive. OS in one partition, other stuff in a different partition. That helped when you had to redo the OS. With todays applications, though...you need to reinstall them anyways, so no real benefit.

And if you partition that 120GB drive, very, very soon, one partition or the other will be 'too small' for whatever you're trying to do with it.

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Thanks so much for the solid help. I forgot I also need to get the Windows 8 ISO file onto my SSD since I don't have a hard copy.

So my gameplan is:
1. Backup HDD to an external HD
2. Connect SDD, and copy Windows 8 ISO file.
3. Format HDD and disconnect.
4. PC should now boot from SDD and install Win8
5. Reconnect HDD and assign media storage to the HDD as necessary
6. Pull setup files from backed up programs on EXT drive and install to SSD.
7. Pull old media back to HDD.
8. Success?

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Can I not just put the ISO on the blank SSD itself? Does it have to be an external USB stick? I'd think if I had nothing but a blank SSD with an ISO install file, wouldn't it just boot into that?

USAFRet

Titan

No, that will not work. You must create a bootable install thing, either DVD or USB. Install to the SSD from that.
You don't run or install the OS directly from the ISO.

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Gotcha. I did find an article that described how to boot/install directly from the Hard drive, but it was a little more tricky and probably not worth the time. I'll just have to wipe one of my USB drives to get this done.

Thanks for such great help.

midrange

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2012
Well, I've got everything up and running and I think all is good. One issue I ran into, is that Windows automatically started restoring all my old files before I could get them mapped to the new drive. So it was starting to max out my SSD. I'm not sure, but I believe because it was maxing out, it automatically created a 1Gb 'System Reserved :)E)' Folder. I've since mapped my folders out correctly so I've got 90Gb free on my SSD. How do I get rid of this 'Drive' that was created?