Discussion Proposed build and some comments

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Before I show the parts for this build, I want to share my frustration. I have such bad luck on timing my builds. Seems every time I build a new PC, the components are outdated within a few months. The list below is the same list I've had for 6 months now. I thought I would wait until something better than the Ryzen 3900 or the 2080 ti came out but in fact, I should have built his 6 months ago because these parts are still every bit as relevant as they were then. It's driving me crazy. I just want to know if there is any reason to wait any longer before building this.

AMD Ryzen 3900. $469.99
Corsair H150i Pro $189.99
Asus R)G Crosshair VIII Hero $379.99
G. Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB $205.18
WD Black 4 TB $172.48
AData XPG SX8200 Pro 1 TB M.2 $161.98
AData XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2 $291.58
Asus GeForce RTX 2080 TI 11GB $1224.46
Second video card for 2nd, 3rd monitor, undecided.
Fractal Design Define R5 $140.38
EVGA SuperNova P2 750W $172.78
Sound Card , onboard
Case fans, undecided
Water cooling gpu, undecided.
Windows 10, version undecided

Will be used primarily for gaming, photo and video editing. Total for this build as is, costs about $3800. I'm up for any suggestions and any comments regarding the timing for buying components.

Last edited:

extreme_noob

Respectable
Looks good. You can definitely get a cheaper board, like the X570 Aorus Elite or the X570-P from ASUS. X570 TUF Gaming is also a good option. All of them can handle a 3900X stock just fine, and even overclocking would work. You could plug in your 2nd and 3rd monitors into the 2080 Ti and be fine. You also don't need that good of a PSU. A 650W EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx unit would still work great, and you wouldn't notice the tiny difference in ripple or voltage control. You also probably don't need a 360mm AIO for running a 3900X stock, and it's probably not enough for a good OC. I'd suggest getting a high end air cooler like the NH D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, since those actually compete with 360mm AIOs while being significantly cheaper.

You could water cool your GPU with a custom loop or a NZXT Kraken G12 mounting bracket, but neither is really that necessary.

Windows 10 Home should be more than enough. Pro just adds a couple office features like remote desktop.

It may seem that they are outdated after a generation, but they really aren't They're just not the newest components anymore.

Reactions: GarrettL

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
The monitors are as follows: Primary: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, Second: Asus PB278Q, Third: Dell U2412MB. The first two run at 2560x1440 and the last runs at 1080. Do you really feel like a 2080ti could run that primary at peak performance while still running the second and 3rd monitor simultaneously? I didn’t even know that the 2080 TI had three ports.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88

extreme_noob

Respectable
The monitors are as follows: Primary: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q, Second: Asus PB278Q, Third: Dell U2412MB. Do you really feel like a 2080ti could run that primary at peak performance while still running the second and 3rd monitor simultaneously? I didn’t even know that the 2080 TI had three ports.
All RTX cards have at least 4 display outputs. It's usually 1 HDMI, 3DP, and sometimes a USB Type C. And as long as you aren't playing different games on all three monitors at once, the 2080 Ti can drive all three just fine.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Right, one will usually be gaming, one using excel (blame Eve Online) and the last for browsing. So yes, the primary would be drawing the most resources by far.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Looks good. You can definitely get a cheaper board, like the X570 Aorus Elite or the X570-P from ASUS. X570 TUF Gaming is also a good option. All of them can handle a 3900X stock just fine, and even overclocking would work. You could plug in your 2nd and 3rd monitors into the 2080 Ti and be fine. You also don't need that good of a PSU. A 650W EVGA G3 or Corsair RMx unit would still work great, and you wouldn't notice the tiny difference in ripple or voltage control. You also probably don't need a 360mm AIO for running a 3900X stock, and it's probably not enough for a good OC. I'd suggest getting a high end air cooler like the NH D15 or Dark Rock Pro 4, since those actually compete with 360mm AIOs while being significantly cheaper.

You could water cool your GPU with a custom loop or a NZXT Kraken G12 mounting bracket, but neither is really that necessary.

Windows 10 Home should be more than enough. Pro just adds a couple office features like remote desktop.

It may seem that they are outdated after a generation, but they really aren't They're just not the newest components anymore.
I did look at alternative motherboards including the three you mentioned but I had concerns about cooling the M.2 SSDs. I think the Crosshair was the only board that provided separate heat sinks for each. Idk.

Regarding water cooling, I was thinking about this AIO to help reduce noise. Truthfully though, I have not investigated the DB level of the fans used on this AIO vs something like the NHD15.

Phaaze88

Distinguished
Herald
Regarding water cooling, I was thinking about this AIO to help reduce noise. Truthfully though, I have not investigated the DB level of the fans used on this AIO vs something like the NHD15.
A non-issue really, as you won't run the fans high anyways.
The fans on that unit have a max rpm of 1600. You're not going to leave it running at that speed, are you? No, you'd be more likely to run them at 600-1000rpm.

This is just a heads up for when you get it all set up, but don't panic when you see the cpu's temps. [There probably needs to be a sticky about this due to how often threads about this pop up.]
Ryzen 3000 has been catching many people by surprise with its high idle temps. This is actually normal.
Ryzen 3000 is very 'bursty' in nature; high idle, but lower load temps than the Intel competitor.
'Fixing' the core frequency also hinders performance.

Reactions: extreme_noob

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Does anyone agree with My frustration about my list? The fact that I could have used this very same list 6 months ago. I can’t remember another time like this in the past 10-15 years where the best gear hadn’t changed in this long of a time. In fact, if I thought that there was going to be any significant changes in the CPU or the GPU this year I would probably wait but I haven’t heard of any changes in the near futur.

extreme_noob

Respectable
I did look at alternative motherboards including the three you mentioned but I had concerns about cooling the M.2 SSDs. I think the Crosshair was the only board that provided separate heat sinks for each. Idk.

Cooling M.2 SSDs are not an issue. The Aorus Elite does have a m.2 heatsink but you won't need one unless you're constantly writing to your drive.
If you do constantly write to your drive(s), you can just buy one of these: https://www.newegg.com/p/0D9-00HC-000B4?item=9SIAJTD8ZZ5529

Does anyone agree with My frustration about my list? The fact that I could have used this very same list 6 months ago. I can’t remember another time like this in the past 10-15 years where the best gear hadn’t changed in this long of a time. In fact, if I thought that there was going to be any significant changes in the CPU or the GPU this year I would probably wait but I haven’t heard of any changes in the near futur.
While you could have had the same list 6 months ago, the prices would be far higher. New hardware releases about every year. That's been the same for a long, long time. I don't know where you're getting the idea that it's any longer of a wait.

Reactions: Phaaze88

ASK THE COMMUNITY