[SOLVED] Pros and Cons of using laptop hard disk on PC

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020
So my HDD on my PC is dying so i want to put my laptops HDD on my PC. what are the pros and cons of this? can i game on it without any issues?

Solution
There's no issue fundamentally. HDD rpm speed may vary but if same then performance should be no different.

However, just plugging the laptop's HDD without reinstalling Windows on the hardware it'll be running will cause all sorts of software and activation conflicts.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's no issue fundamentally. HDD rpm speed may vary but if same then performance should be no different.

However, just plugging the laptop's HDD without reinstalling Windows on the hardware it'll be running will cause all sorts of software and activation conflicts.

Solution

mrb00ce

Reputable
Jul 28, 2020

Do i have to format the entire drive or just reinstall windows?

No technical issues at all. Except maybe extra time for searching and ordering required 2.5" drive mount accessories for 3.5" drive bay. Though laptop HDD usually have slower rotation (5400 and 5900 RPM instead of usual 7200 RPM in desktop HDD) so slower access time and even longer disk grinding during windows updates, installations, maintenance and other drive IO consuming tasks. If you can, buy SSD for system drive and use mentioned laptop drive for file archives. Your deskop will thank you.