PROSTAR Clevo PB51EF-G thunderbolt 3 PCIe lanes

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
So I am looking for a gaming laptop for my wife. I was hoping for an RTX 2070 non q-max...I would prefer G-sync as well. My last big ask is for thunderbolt 3 with four PCIe lanes and not two so she can run an external GPU down the line when ever the RTX 2070 can't keep up anymore. I know there are some thunderbolt solutions out there that only use 2 lanes instead of four which cripples eGPU performance. I have been searching for verification one way or the other on the PROSTAR Clevo PB51EF-G. If anybody knows how many lanes it uses I would appreciate it. And yes /I am aware I won't be able to use G-Sync with thunderbolt when that time comes.

D

Deleted member 14196

Gaming laptops are not very good at gaming and their internal video is never as good as a regular PC. If she does lots of gaming it’s better to build a gaming PC as laptops have lots of overheating problems. Running external GPU this is just going to add complexity to the nightmare but good luck anyway because what you’re looking for is only going to be on the very highest end of laptops If it exists at all

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
Gaming laptops are not very good at gaming and their internal video is never as good as a regular PC. If she does lots of gaming it’s better to build a gaming PC as laptops have lots of overheating problems. Running external GPU this is just going to add complexity to the nightmare but good luck anyway because what you’re looking for is only going to be on the very highest end of laptops If it exists at all

All too aware and exactly why I build desktops for my primary computing needs. But my wife prefers a laptop as a writer/gamer and I end up in the hospital enough as a paraplegic it gets easy to justify for us. And with a thunderbolt 3 connection with 40 Gbps (ie 4 PCIe lanes) we can get some more life out of it when the RTX 2070 gets to weak unlike the one she has now without thunderbolt and is stuck with a GTX 980m. As for the features I hoped for the Clevo I listed "maybe" has them all of the for a reasonable price. The only question is whether their thunderbolt 3 solution uses 2 or 4 PCIe lanes.

D

Deleted member 14196

You’re going to need an external GPU dock for about $250 and that’s how you use an egpu. The dock will have the PCI lanes

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador

Razor has what you want most likely

That list is perfect...the clevo is on it though they typoed....Clevo PB851EF-G / Sager NP8356...There is no PB851EF-G only the PB51EF-G which is also the Sager NP8356 (triple checked) which indeed has the 4x lanes. So the one she wants will work great. Thanks for the help!