Protect from Dos attacks,being victim of.

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hi guys im being a victim of dos attacks ... one f***ing guy took my ip from my skype and he dos attacks me he just messages me *The attack has been send succesfully and after 20 sec BAM no internet connection i tried to add new rules in the firewall,installing hotspot... using wifi but nope none of thoose things worked please i need help i saw in a forum that is praticaly impossible to stop a dos attack if you can help me ima die from happynes :) my router doesnt detect anything my tv is connected and it works.i have 2 pc's with same ip and im getting my net stopped on both

ty in advance

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
You should report this to your ISP, with time and date info as well as skype details as this is illegal. You need to block all incoming on you router/modem to kill his DOS attack and turn off all responses such as ping requests. How to do these things will be specific to your router. Your local machine firewall will have no effect

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

in my router options there was an option called block incoming ping i searched on the net that this will kill dos attacks i blocked the person who was doing dos attacks then he emailed me unblock me or you will have no internet for 2 hours i didnt listened and i said no! then i had no net for two hours as said

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Block all incoming ping not just his IP. Maybe he uses a few IP's. Are you using a static IP fro your ISP. If not maybe try switching your router off for the night - unplugged. You may get a different IP when you log back in. Block him on skype too and remove him from any contacts lists, messaging software etc.

You need your router to block all incoming requests from all IP's to all ports and to not respond to ping requests. Turn off Upnp for now too

Also did you download or receive any files from him via skype or email or anything. It may have been a trojan if you did. Either way. try installing Comodo Internet Security (free version) or AVG and scan your system. Also download and run Malwarebytes.

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

ok,if you can give me more guides my isp told me to get a new router from their store. if you can post more tutorials of blocking a dos attack tomorrow im going to apply them to my new router

thanks,Tom's Hardware Community

peac,lov

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Due to the way the internet works, there is no way to completely block a DOS attack. The most you can generally do is make sure that it is blocking unrequested traffic and not responding to pings. That at least cuts down on how much throughput it is using.

Other than that, be sure to report it to the ISP, especially if you are on one which has a datacap as that traffic will still count towards your cap. (some people do this to knock comcast customers off of the internet (or is someone is on a truly scumbag ISP like hughesnet, then knock them off of the web for the rest of the month within a few hours.

If your ISP has dynamic IP's, then you can heat to the modem or router settings (which ever device is holding the WAN IP), then release the DVCP, then turn the modem off for a few minutes, then turn it back on.

PS some routers allow people to DOS you without the need to packet flood you. Some ISP supplied routers will have a remote access function that the router listens on and cannot be disabled. (e.g., verizon fios will have the actiontec routers listen on port 4567), depending on how they implement the remote access, the right packets sent to the router at the WAN side, and you can either lag it out, or crash it and require them to be rebooted.

This used to be pretty easy with the older actiontec GT704WG that some DSL providers used (verizon eventually updated their firmware to use remote access where only they have the password, but I am sure someone can find the password in the firmware). The remote access could not be disabled, though there was no need to packet flood or replay attack the remote access since you could access it using the default username and password and either brick the device by uploading a corrupt firmware file, or edit DNS settings.

If they are doing a simple packet flood, then just get the WAN IP changed as there is nothing you can do on your end to deal with the downstream saturation.

jamesmcuk

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012

Well it may but your ISP should be able to give you a new IP on your existing router. So what I really mean is they shouldnt be asking you to buy a new one.

Even a new IP will not help this one. You must pretty much stop using skype. There is no way to block his ability to get your new ip. Even changing your skype account does not always help unless you remove all contact info and then you have to be sure nobody you ever contact with skype posts your skype id anyplace.

There are no settings you can make in your router that will make any difference. The DoS unlikely uses ping unless it is pinging other machines and spoofing the source to cause them to send ping replys.

There are many attacks but the most common is to just send lots of random packets with spoofed source addresses and just use up all your bandwidth. When the goal is to exceed you bandwidth there is nothing you can do by the time you receive the packet it has already used the bandwidth.

This is impossible for even the ISP to do much about. When I can take a bunch of machines and they can send data with fake source IP you have no way to determine where the traffic is coming from. Many ISP prevent you from sending data with fake source addresses but there are enough that do not prevent it to still allow for a massive issue.

Bottom line on this one is don't use skype. Why microsoft has not addressed this issue with skype I have no clue...maybe the NSA won't let them.

accesgranted1

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
So i haven't got any attacks... which i thank god, but is there anyway to hide myself from skype resolvers or sites where he can find my ip through skype username. So i blocked him ima make a new skype i deleted my email and i made a new one.He's the first one who drove me that crazy,i have his ip can i do something with his ip ex. to deny his pings to my router, or to answer the fire with fire?

Thanks for all answers
lov,peac

Because of the way skype works the data is shared. In theory you could make direct calls between houses but because everyone runs routers with nat it almost always goes though a common node...most times at microsoft. If they had a mode where you would always go though the central node only the central node would need to know the ip but because the design is peer to peer it exposes the IP even if they are seldom used for direct peer to peer.

If you have his ip then you can use any of the same services he uses. They all cost money so that is why this is not a constant issue. You can not really do DoS attacks from your own connection because almost all home connections have much lower upload speeds than download so you would DoS your own uplink well before you exceeded his download. If you happen to be one of the lucky few on google 1g fiber you likely could do it but when he reports you then you lose your nice 1g internet connection.

TRENDING THREADS