[SOLVED] Protected Management Frames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomx2

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2013
Hi.
I am a noob in networking and need some advice from you network experts.
Was looking at my router (ASUS RT-AC66U B1) settings today, and notice an option in wireless labeled Protected Management Frames. It's defaulted to disabled.

Did some Googling. From what I gather PMF (when enabled) prevents malicious third party sending deauth frames and kicking clients off the network, forcing them to reauth.
I am the only client using my 2G and 5G network bands at home. But if this will give me added protection against WIFI hackers, I probably want it enabled.
Other than the Modem, I do not have any devices connected to my router. 

If enabled (Q's):
  Any network performance issues?
  Will there be lag spikes?
  How can I test if it's working? Deauth my network Client?

Is it worth enabling this option on my router?
If yes, do I select Capable or Required?

Thanks.
TC.

Solution
The reason it is not on by default is not all clients correctly support it. The risk is very minimal. Sending deauth frames is more a denial of service attack than a attempt to break in. Nobody is going to really bother trying to hack you wifi when open wifi exists. If you were some company with information worth stealing maybe but companies with information to steal have multiple layer of protection in most cases.
The reason it is not on by default is not all clients correctly support it. The risk is very minimal. Sending deauth frames is more a denial of service attack than a attempt to break in. Nobody is going to really bother trying to hack you wifi when open wifi exists. If you were some company with information worth stealing maybe but companies with information to steal have multiple layer of protection in most cases.

Reactions: lantis3
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.