[SOLVED] Protecting raid0 from corruption due to power loss

pmjm

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Hi all,

I'm building a new threadripper 3 system and want a raid0 of four 2TB pcie4 NVME drives (I have 4 of the corsair mp600s on order).

At this point, a lot of you are going to jump in and tell me that this is not going to perform as well as you assume I think it will. Let me be clear, I am not doing it for performance, I'm doing it for the combined size of the volumes.

Anyway, the biggest worry that I have is that either my PC will lose power or will suffer a crash (BSOD, etc) which will corrupt the raid, especially given the caching these drives use.

If this were a raid in any other form factor, I would use a hardware raid controller with battery backup to protect from this kind of corruption. However no such controllers exist for pcie4 m.2 yet.

Does anyone know another way to protect a pcie4 m.2 raid0 from corruption due to power loss?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
That's what backups are for. Component failure is less likely than a power loss even in developed countries, so the UPS is the only option. If you really need a single drive then that's the price.