Protection on End of Life firewall?

MrITguy

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
My work just had to get new firewalls because their previous firewall's "SonicWALL" reach end of life. My question is do they still provide some kind of protection when they don't have security on them? Because they reached end of reach by SonicWALL, you can no longer buy the security suite for them.

Solution
By "End of Life" the vendor means you are no longer provided firmware and features updates, but the basic functionality of the FW is still there and usable. Same with OS's, at some point you are no longer provided support and security update, so it depends on you whether you require to keep things updated. A business, the answer is probably yes, a run-of-the-mill home user, I say probably no. YMMV.
By "End of Life" the vendor means you are no longer provided firmware and features updates, but the basic functionality of the FW is still there and usable. Same with OS's, at some point you are no longer provided support and security update, so it depends on you whether you require to keep things updated. A business, the answer is probably yes, a run-of-the-mill home user, I say probably no. YMMV.

Solution