Protective coating for an aluminum laptop

Owen_34

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Hello everyone, I recently picked up an MSI GF63 Thin for work, and I love the thing except for one factor.
The brushed aluminum on the laptop picks up oil and fingerprints like CRAZY; and it just looks icky. I was wondering if there was a product I could use to give the thing some protection against oil and fingerprints. I was looking at oleophobic coating kits for phone screens, and that looked decent, but I was hoping for something thats for my exact purpose.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes the oil and fingerprints do look icky.

However, I would do nothing beyond cleaning the case IAW (In Accordance With) the manufacturer's instructions.

Very likely just using clean soft cloth will serve the purpose.

Check the laptop's User Guide/Manual for cleaning instructions. (Likely in Safety Instructions.)

I found the following in a MSI User Guide:

"• Never pour liquid into the opening that could damage the equipment or cause an electrical shock. • Never use any chemical substance to wipe the surface of this equipment, such as keyboard, touchpad, and notebook case. "

Will concede that that is not "cleaning per se". However, you would be using a "chemical substance" on the surface. If things go bad the warranty may be voided.

Contact MSI for more information.

Owen_34

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Yes the oil and fingerprints do look icky.

However, I would do nothing beyond cleaning the case IAW (In Accordance With) the manufacturer's instructions.

Very likely just using clean soft cloth will serve the purpose.

Check the laptop's User Guide/Manual for cleaning instructions. (Likely in Safety Instructions.)

I found the following in a MSI User Guide:

"• Never pour liquid into the opening that could damage the equipment or cause an electrical shock. • Never use any chemical substance to wipe the surface of this equipment, such as keyboard, touchpad, and notebook case. "

Will concede that that is not "cleaning per se". However, you would be using a "chemical substance" on the surface. If things go bad the warranty may be voided.

Contact MSI for more information.

Ah, I forgot about warranty. This is my first brand new laptop in over a decade, Im not used to worrying about that
🤦‍♂️. Thank you for the insight, though. I will just continue to wipe it down obsessively.

Owen_34

Honorable
Jan 5, 2017
Okay so, for anybody who might find this in google someday; I treated the surface of my laptop anyways. I already installed an SSD in this thing day one, so my warranty is probably kabotch. And I tried 3 things. (washing the device off with dish soap between each try.)

Ceramic coating spray (Good expensive stuff): Works, but seems to leave a rainbowed finish on aluminum. Wouldnt use it on non-anodized aluminum under any circumstance. Could tarnish.

Protective polish for furniture and kitchen appliances: Doesnt work, even when you buff the metal after applying it it leaves a very oily finish. Makes fingerprints much worse and attracts dust super bad. Avoid at all costs.

Rainx hydrophobic wax: works great. Seems to behave with the aluminum really well... went on and buffed out beautifully. Laptop beads up any liquid now, and fingerprints and smudges are MUCH MUCH easier to wipe off. Also smells AMAZING. I applied this to every surface, the laptop looks much deeper in color (more premium imho), and is so much easier to clean. A bit slippery now though.

So yeah, conclusion is, use the bright blue bottle of NON CERAMIC rainX post wash wax. Not cheap but boy it does the trick.

Okay so, for anybody who might find this in google someday; I treated the surface of my laptop anyways. I already installed an SSD in this thing day one, so my warranty is probably kabotch. And I tried 3 things. (washing the device off with dish soap between each try.)

Ceramic coating spray (Good expensive stuff): Works, but seems to leave a rainbowed finish on aluminum. Wouldnt use it on non-anodized aluminum under any circumstance. Could tarnish.

Protective polish for furniture and kitchen appliances: Doesnt work, even when you buff the metal after applying it it leaves a very oily finish. Makes fingerprints much worse and attracts dust super bad. Avoid at all costs.

Rainx hydrophobic wax: works great. Seems to behave with the aluminum really well... went on and buffed out beautifully. Laptop beads up any liquid now, and fingerprints and smudges are MUCH MUCH easier to wipe off. Also smells AMAZING. I applied this to every surface, the laptop looks much deeper in color (more premium imho), and is so much easier to clean. A bit slippery now though.

So yeah, conclusion is, use the bright blue bottle of NON CERAMIC rainX post wash wax. Not cheap but boy it does the trick.

I was going to mention that using a wax coating or spray on the computer will make it hard to keep a hold of. Probably fingerprint cleaning is better than having to pay for a new screen when it slips and falls.