News Proton Slows Down RTX 4090, 4080 By 10% in Linux vs Windows 11 Gaming Benchmarks

Status
Not open for further replies.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008

jackt

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Depend on the game, sometimes its faster. and you should not use ubuntu to compare, but arch... btw.

And this would have never happened if something didnt stop the use of vulkan, on windows too.

Reactions: Rdslw

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
This will be a persistent issue as part of Linux being new to the gaming scene. Some sort of layer will always add extra cruft.

As Linux usage increases, more games will be native because the companies producing the games will want them to be native/enough customers will demand it.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
No, it really isn't.

emulator​

[ em-yuh-ley-ter ]

Computers. hardware or software designed to imitate a different piece of hardware or a different software system, in order to do the same work or run the same programs:These JavaScript emulators allow you to run newer programs on older, incompatible operating systems.

WINE is an emulator. No matter how hard the neckbeards want to scream from the rafters that it isn't - it is. Sorry. You're making a layer of software that pretends to be DirectX on OpenGL/Vulkan. That's an emulator and no amount of mental gymnastics will make it any different.

Reactions: KyaraM
It's an emulator.
it depends on what part you look at, it emulates windows libs, while api calls are translated, not emulated.
but still its another layer in between that does something, so it should have a cost.
10% is damn decent for what it brings.
Depend on the game, sometimes its faster. and you should not use ubuntu to compare, but arch... btw.

And this would have never happened if something didnt stop the use of vulkan, on windows too.

That's another can of worms. Technically all and none of the distributions are representative, and I believe Ubuntu was a "good enough" choice. Remember that press guys are not savy enough to have repeatable setup on arch. It's not about steamdeck, so simple is good.

It's an emulator.
No - an emulator would pass itself off as the "genuine" thing, when Proton's (and Wine's) graphical API do indicate that it's not.
Emulators are a software simulation of hardware, while Wine (and Proton) is a re-implementation of the Windows API(s) on top of UNIX - DXVK is a translation of DX11/12 into Vulkan instead of translating it directly to machine language - which would require one version per GPU family, is possible (it was done before) but not really efficient when you consider how close to the metal Vulkan is.
I wouldn't be surprised if out of this 10-15% overhead, 5-10% actually came from the Linux version of the Nvidia driver not changing settings on the fly when it detects some game running - it does that on Windows.

Last edited:
Reactions: blppt

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"You're making a layer of software that pretends to be DirectX on OpenGL/Vulkan. "

No, its not pretending to be anything...it translates DirectX calls to Vulkan---and that is DXVK not WINE.

Here's another way to look at it---you can run the same DXVK libraries on Windows 10/11.

Reactions: mitch074

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
I did not even know about Proton. Turns out Beat Sabre runs on Proton. I'm gonna retire my old Win7 living room Steam VR machine and replace it with my linux machine now. I'm not so mad at Steam any more... :)

Reactions: blppt

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
That would be like running an Xbox emulator on an Xbox. You could just play the game without having to jump through a bunch of silly hoops and lose a bunch of performance due to the emulation layers.

I'm guessing you've never actually tried DXVK on Windows. It actually does help at times---while there is overhead in cpu translating DX9/10/11/12 calls to Vulkan, when a game graphics engine is bottlenecked by the lower thread optimized older DX versions, it can actually increase performance.

AMD generally benefits more than Nvidia with DXVK on Windows because Nvidia's DX11 drivers are far better thread optimized than AMD's. Also, Mantle was originally designed by AMD, so it wouldn't shock me if some of their old AMD-centric code is still in Vulkan.

I use it (DXVK on Windows) all the time on GW2 (built on DX9, has a native DX11 mode now) on my 6900XT/5950X. It makes a noticeable difference, even with the native DX11 mode now available. And its as simple as unzipping the tarball, placing the 64-bit dx11.dll + dxgi.dll files in the GW2.exe directory.

Heck, back when GW2 was still only DX9, there was a 3rd party translation dll created called "D912PXY" which translated DX9 calls to DX12 and it made a BIG difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.