Proxim 8450CN help

I have acquired two unused Proxim Harmony 8450CN 802.11a access points
without any sort of manual. Can anyone tell me how to get access to
any sort of configuration menu? I can't see a web server on it and
none of my SNMP config utilities can talk to it (though maybe because
I don't know some default community password). If I telnet to it it
asks me for a password but I don't know what the default is. It does
seem to correctly get itself an IP address from my DHCP server from
the wired segment.

-- Mark

On 24 Jul 2004 13:19:07 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
<markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>I have acquired two unused Proxim Harmony 8450CN 802.11a access points
>without any sort of manual.

The 8450 is the 802.11a cardbus card, not the access point. Check the
label.

Go to:
http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/proxim.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php
and inscribe "346" in the text box with a Search by "Answer ID". The
page includes software and documentation for the card.

If you could produce the proper number for the access point, I could
find the docs for you. My guess is that it's really a 8570 or 8571.
http://socalfreenet.org/proxim8571
http://www.proxim.com/support/all/harmony/manuals/pdf/857xman01.pdf

>I can't see a web server on it and
>none of my SNMP config utilities can talk to it (though maybe because
>I don't know some default community password).

SNMP default community names are usually "public" and "private". The
8570 and 8571 *DOES* have in internal web server which may be
disabled.

>If I telnet to it it
>asks me for a password but I don't know what the default is. It does
>seem to correctly get itself an IP address from my DHCP server from
>the wired segment.

My guess(tm) is that the unit needs to be reset to defaults before
proceeding. The default password is "default". Also try: "public",
"Proxim", and "manager".

>-- Mark

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

"Mark Carroll" <markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote in message
> I have acquired two unused Proxim Harmony 8450CN 802.11a access points
> without any sort of manual. Can anyone tell me how to get access to
> any sort of configuration menu? I can't see a web server on it and
> none of my SNMP config utilities can talk to it (though maybe because
> I don't know some default community password). If I telnet to it it
> asks me for a password but I don't know what the default is. It does
> seem to correctly get itself an IP address from my DHCP server from
> the wired segment.
>
> -- Mark

It looks like another name for the unit is the Orinoco Proxim Skyline
8450CN. See:
http://www.saveateagle.com/orproxskyl84.html
This page says it has "integrated web management."

You could try putting an IP address scanner on it. You only have to scan
the private address ranges.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

In article <GMvMc.8406$YK2.2152882@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>,
Ron Bandes <RunderscoreBandes @yah00.com> wrote:
(snip)
>It looks like another name for the unit is the Orinoco Proxim Skyline
>8450CN. See:
>http://www.saveateagle.com/orproxskyl84.html
>This page says it has "integrated web management."

Thanks! This is one thing that's been puzzling me -

>You could try putting an IP address scanner on it. You only have to scan
>the private address ranges.

If I scan ICMP and TCP from 1 through 65535 all I get is that telnet
is open! (TCP port 23.) If I connect, it asks for a password, then
responds "Sorry...no can do..." to my guesses ("public", "default",
"proxim", etc.). I can't establish a TCP/IP connection on ports 80 or
443 at all - so much for the web management!

-- Mark

In article <m665g0952n5i5o6a01r10aq4htggbrnp84@4ax.com>,
>On 24 Jul 2004 13:19:07 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
><markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>I have acquired two unused Proxim Harmony 8450CN 802.11a access points
>>without any sort of manual.
>
>The 8450 is the 802.11a cardbus card, not the access point. Check the
>label.

It quite clearly says, "MODEL: 8450CN" just above the "Proxim, Inc."
on the label underneath. The label is headed, "Harmony 802.11a Access
Point".

(snip)
>If you could produce the proper number for the access point, I could
>find the docs for you. My guess is that it's really a 8570 or 8571.

It does look very much like an 8570. Now I also notice that the serial
number starts with "8570". So maybe, it effectively is one.

(snip)
>SNMP default community names are usually "public" and "private". The
>8570 and 8571 *DOES* have in internal web server which may be
>disabled.

Ah, maybe both web and SNMP are disabled. Since posting, I've
port-scanned it pretty intensively, and telnet is indeed the only TCP
port open.

(snip)
>My guess(tm) is that the unit needs to be reset to defaults before
>proceeding. The default password is "default". Also try: "public",
>"Proxim", and "manager".

Argh - all of them say, "Sorry...no can do..." ! I also tried with
PuTTY's "raw" mode in case something in the telnet protocol was
messing up the password. I can't even see some little button to push
with a pen to reset it. (I actually have two of these APs, behaving
identically.)

Thanks very much for your attempts to help, though! (-: I'd think the
thing was dead altogether if it wasn't for the telnet Password prompt,
and it getting an IP by DHCP.

-- Mark

On 24 Jul 2004 21:05:19 +0100 (BST), Mark Carroll
<markc@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>It quite clearly says, "MODEL: 8450CN" just above the "Proxim, Inc."
>on the label underneath. The label is headed, "Harmony 802.11a Access
>Point".

Well, here's a photo of the 8570:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/justdeals/857005.html
and an 8450CN:
http://tekgems.com/Products/et-9572-nwl-8450cn.htm
It's gotta be one of them.

>Ah, maybe both web and SNMP are disabled. Since posting, I've
>port-scanned it pretty intensively, and telnet is indeed the only TCP
>port open.

SNMP (port 160) will sometimes not return anything on a port scan.
Try NMap or NMapWin. Also try a MIB browser such as GetIF 2.2.

>Argh - all of them say, "Sorry...no can do..." ! I also tried with
>PuTTY's "raw" mode in case something in the telnet protocol was
>messing up the password. I can't even see some little button to push
>with a pen to reset it. (I actually have two of these APs, behaving
>identically.)

I'll see if I can figure out how to set it back to defaults.
Oh swell, the Proxim web pile now says "Under Construction" followed
by a nice blank page. I couldn't find any tricks with Google. I
vaguely recall it's something like plugging a CAT5 jumper cable into
both input and output and applying power. That's what Watchguard does
and it completely clears the flash. Therefore be prepared to re-flash
the access point. SMC has you jumper two pins on the serial port.
Sometimes the factory SNMP based management software has a built in
back door calculator to deal with password recovery issues. Dunno.

Good luck.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

In article <h9q5g05s8tvb3ju8pc1m8nhll1marm0hg6@4ax.com>,
(snip)
>SNMP (port 160) will sometimes not return anything on a port scan.
>Try NMap or NMapWin. Also try a MIB browser such as GetIF 2.2.

Yes, I'd been trying nmap - it's excellent software. (-: I also tried
ap-config to see if that could get anything out of the thing.

(snip)
>I'll see if I can figure out how to set it back to defaults.
(snip)

Thanks! I now have a reply from Proxim that says something about
plugging the ethernet cable in and out a few times in an environment
with no wireless activity at all (!). I'll give that a try when I can
get to an environment that doesn't have wireless activity (not around
here). I wonder if it will suffice to put the unit mostly in a foil
cage or something to stop it hearing local wireless? We'll see.

-- Mark

A followup:

To reset the 8450CN to factory defaults, you unplug the ethernet cord
three times. After the first two plug-ins, wait three seconds before
unplugging it again. After the third, wait for a while, and the lights
will start blinking strangely. That didn't solve my problem, though.
(Apparently it likes a quiet network for doing this reset procedure.)

What solved my problem was a firmware update executable from Proxim.
It couldn't detect my APs, so it needed to be told the IPs explicitly,
and didn't always work first time, but it worked. (-: Proxim's
technical support were excellent.

-- Mark

TRENDING THREADS