Question Proxmox Build - Intel NUC vs 2U Custom Build

Mainer82

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I currently have a HP Z820 Workstation with 128GB RAM and some SSD drives. CPU = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2667 v2 @ 3.30GHz (2 Sockets). It runs great, but I am selling it as it uses too much power. About 111 watts to 200 watts depending on what it's doing.

My Goals:
  1. Save on my electrical bill (less watts the better)
  2. Have a small foot print (Z820 is a beast)
  3. Have the power I need
I'm looking at 1 of 2 options:
  1. Buy an Intel NUC NUC12WSHi5 and place on a shelf in my 18U rack
  2. Build a custom Micro ATX system and place it in a Rosewill 2U chassis to fit in my 18U rack
Intel NUC Build:
NUC12WSHi5 - $525
64GB RAM - $150
Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB - $180
1TB SSD (Own already)
SABRENT 512GB Rocket NVMe PCIe M.2 2242 - $70

Micro ATX Build:
ASRock B660M-HDV LGA 1700 Intel B660 SATA 6Gb/s DDR4 Micro ATX Motherboard - $89
Rosewill RSV-Z2700U 2U Server Chassis Rackmount Case - $155
Intel Core i5-12600 - Core i5 12th Gen Alder Lake 6-Core 3.3 GHz LGA 1700 65W Intel UHD Graphics 770 Desktop Processor - BX8071512600 - $230
be quiet! SHADOW ROCK LP - $86
be quiet! Pure Wings 2, 80mm Fan - $9
Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB - $180
6TB Mech. HDD - Own
500GB or 1TB SSD - Own
1TB or 2TB Mech/SSD for Emby? - Own
Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Series EA650G Pro 650W Semi-Modular, 80 PLUS GOLD - $99
Crucial 64GB Kit (2 x 32GB) DDR4-3200 UDIMM - $165

I believe that the NUC will use around 45 watts~ but am not sure about the other build, I know it's dependent on work load but any guess as to how much power it'll use?

Here's what I do with Proxmox, at the moment:
  • 5 out of the 20 VMs run most of the time, the remainders are just for testing, learning, etc.
    • I run a lot of containers, Linux OS's and a couple of Windows OS's
    • The containers are small, mostly web servers, the most intensive ones are TrueNAS and Emby
I will have to put a couple hundred into either build after I make the sale on the tower. Thoughts? Advise?

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
The NUC is based around a laptop chip, and in my experience with a 11th gen build, will use at most 60W running constantly flat out, maybe a bit more with disk activity, and just a few watts at idle. It doesn't have the cooling capacity to take much more power, either, and any additional storage beyond one each of the M.2 SSD and the 2.5" HDD/SSD and beyond the number and power capacity of the USB ports provided would have to be connected via some USB hub with external power, which might be troublesome and unreliable, unless there's some better solution I'm not aware of.

It's not going to beat the extensibility of even an ITX build, though it may take some tens of watts less in your use case.

The iGPU of the NUC is also quite a bit more powerful than that of the desktop 12th-gen i5, even though it doesn't sound like you need much GPU capability beyond maybe video transcoding.

Both would definitely be much more efficient than any Ivy Bridge-era Xeon by themselves, of course.

Last edited:

Mainer82

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
When I say homelab, I am not doing anything over the top, basic things. Testing out the latest container, Linux distro, NAS, etc. The most intensive process I would be using it for is Emby streaming to the Roku once in awhile.

I am really trying to minimize the energy costs here which is where my real struggle is. I know that Linux does not yet support thread director which is what the CPU in the NUC 12th gen has for the P and E cores.

Diskpace is probably the biggest hassle due to the limited space, however, they do make larger m.2's cheaper now. It's nice in a tower to just add what you need but with this system, I need to reduce my energy use. The Xeon is just a hog.

Mainer82

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I'm not concerned with spending $ I have saved up for this project, the Xeon was free and I'm making $ on the sale so that's moot. I am more concerned with my month to month expenses as electrical prices rise.

72jd

Prominent
Aug 21, 2022
I have similar idea and have been thinking about getting the Asrock NUC BOX 1240P for the Dual 2.5G NIC and 5 USB ports. I think NUC 12 Pro NUC12WSHv50L with dual NIC will be a couple of hundred dollars more expensive but it's from Intel.

DavidM012

Distinguished
https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/sell-used-hardware

hp z820 worth -0 they won't even consider anything under 500 plus they offer 1 year rtb warranty or 90 days rtb for components.

You can't compete. Their site configurator also looks perfect for optimizing sql server builds since customers can choose their cpu and other nik naks.

Since you can't feed it to the cash grinder, maybe you can do someone a favor and give it to them for brownie points. The narrow market for it might be people running sql servers your only hope is to sell it to an ignorant cave dwelling mug from whom you can easily escape. Hit and run.

Well with no warranty, are the drives really worth any risk? We seem to be penny pinching here so other penny pinchers will think no.

You are competing against bargain hardware, misers and modern tech. Who gave it ya because they couldn't sell it.

Mainer82

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/sell-used-hardware

hp z820 worth -0 they won't even consider anything under 500 plus they offer 1 year rtb warranty or 90 days rtb for components.

You can't compete. Their site configurator also looks perfect for optimizing sql server builds since customers can choose their cpu and other nik naks.

Since you can't feed it to the cash grinder, maybe you can do someone a favor and give it to them for brownie points. The narrow market for it might be people running sql servers your only hope is to sell it to an ignorant cave dwelling mug from whom you can easily escape. Hit and run.

Well with no warranty, are the drives really worth any risk? We seem to be penny pinching here so other penny pinchers will think no.

You are competing against bargain hardware, misers and modern tech. Who gave it ya because they couldn't sell it.
I have a local buyer lined up... I'm not concerned with that. Let's get back on topic please. :)