[SOLVED] Proxmox ZFS storage provisioning

fabio.lanza

Commendable
Apr 24, 2018
Hi,

it's the first time that I am using Proxmox. I have 4x 4TB HDDs that are now in a RAIDZ-1 ZFS (no other disks). I created a Windows Server VM to be used as a file-server. In order to have my data in a different disk than the OS one, I am trying to understand what is the most appropriate way to create a logical volume for data, that can be attached to this VM or any other Windows VM in the future. At the moment, my file-server data is being stored on a VM disk. I am afraid that if this VM gets deleted, this second VM disk will as well.

My only requirement is that if my VM gets trashed in the future, I should be able to spin up a new VM and reattach this data drive back to it, without losing any data.

What is the most appropriate to logically design my storage for this case? I would prefer not to retouch the ZFS pool.

Thanks!

Fabio

Solution
In Proxmon, you set the size of the disk the VM is using as well as setting up the access to external (to the vm, not to Proxmon) folders it will be able to access.

I'm not very familiar with Proxmon, but it sounds like you've already partitioned the array so now all you have is File level access within the pool unless you can maybe add disk images to act as partitions to segregate your data. I would think that would be possible too. Again I'm not very familiar with Proxmon.

If you really want partitions, you'll need to re-partition or shrink & add new partitions to to the existing pool.

Since this is a Proxmon question and not really storage, this is being moved to our Open Source section of the forum.

Thanks.
May 15, 2020
I dont get it. You only have 4 disks and they are in a raidz1, so how are you planning on having your Windows OS and Data on different disks when you only have the 1 set of disks (in the pool)?

Hi @popatim thanks for replying. My intention is to achieve this separation logically. At this time, my VM disks "belong" to the VM. I can't attach them to another VM for example. I was hoping to have a disk setup in such a way that I can attach it to any VM I want. In the current setup if I destroy the VM, the VM disks will be destroyed as well. Does it make sense?

Thanks

popatim

Titan
In Proxmon, you set the size of the disk the VM is using as well as setting up the access to external (to the vm, not to Proxmon) folders it will be able to access.

I'm not very familiar with Proxmon, but it sounds like you've already partitioned the array so now all you have is File level access within the pool unless you can maybe add disk images to act as partitions to segregate your data. I would think that would be possible too. Again I'm not very familiar with Proxmon.

If you really want partitions, you'll need to re-partition or shrink & add new partitions to to the existing pool.

Since this is a Proxmon question and not really storage, this is being moved to our Open Source section of the forum.

Thanks.

Solution