Prudent to use a small SSD just for windows and a larger one for games/programs?

Nhawk

Commendable
Jul 16, 2016
So I used to have a SSD years ago but it died on me and I always thought windows and chrome likely had something to do with it. Now that I'm looking at my options to upgrade my system I thought I'd ask if there is any benefit to installing windows and chrome on a small ssd (say a cheap 60gb) and then get a 512gb SSD for the other programs? Will it increase loading times over having everything on one ssd? I also have a 2tb hard drive I'm using now that would become a general storage drive.

Basic thought is it would be cheaper to replace the 60gb and reload windows and protect my other data. Is this an incorrect assumption?

Solution
"60GB" ? Not even close.

1. It's actually hard/impossible to find good SSD's in that size. Sure, there are old slow off brand ones.
You get what you pay for.
2. 60GB is simply TooSmall. Sure, it will install. But once you start using it, even if you are absolutely diligent about where things get installed, that 60GB will quickly become full. Even a 120GB is marginal.

250GB or larger recommended. 120GB absolute minimum.
Seeing as top ranked 250GB drives are only ~$55...how much 'cheaper' do you want it?

Now...having 1 SSD for the OS and your applications, and a 2TB for games and other stuff is one thing. A very good combination.
A 60GB SSD is quite another thing.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
60GB is really too small for the OS. But it wouldn't make a significant difference. Just put the OS on the 512GB drive.

The only time it would make sense, and it would be a very minor difference, would be if you used a small NVMe SSD for the OS and used a larger SATA SSD (M.2 or 2.5") for bulk storage.

The tiny bit of extra performance you'll get is not worth the extra price or hassle. 60gb for windows is simply too small so just get a single larger ssd.

USAFRet

Titan
"60GB" ? Not even close.

1. It's actually hard/impossible to find good SSD's in that size. Sure, there are old slow off brand ones.
You get what you pay for.
2. 60GB is simply TooSmall. Sure, it will install. But once you start using it, even if you are absolutely diligent about where things get installed, that 60GB will quickly become full. Even a 120GB is marginal.

250GB or larger recommended. 120GB absolute minimum.
Seeing as top ranked 250GB drives are only ~$55...how much 'cheaper' do you want it?

Now...having 1 SSD for the OS and your applications, and a 2TB for games and other stuff is one thing. A very good combination.
A 60GB SSD is quite another thing.

Solution