Hello,
Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated

roby

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2004

Hristo Kolev wrote:

> Hello,
> Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
> mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated

I assume you mean a passive adapter; i.e. PS/2 and DB9 connectors with
appropriate pins interconnected. That will work *only* for a mouse that is
smart enough to operate in either ps/2 or serial mode. Those that are come
with an adapter of the sort you need.

An active adapter (with appropriate electronics) to make a not-so-smart
mouse do this is possible but not practical. Rodents are really cheap
these days.

Roby

jt

On 15 Jul 2004 06:35:58 -0700, hristo_kolev@yahoo.com (Hristo Kolev) wrote:

>Hello,
>Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
>mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated

1. You can probably buy one cheaper than build one. The last one I bought
was about $2.00

2. Not all PS2 mice will work with an serial adapter. The protocols are
different, and a PS2 only mouse will not work with the serial protocol.

JT

steveh

"Roby" <roby@no-address.net> wrote in message
> Hristo Kolev wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
> > mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated
>
> I assume you mean a passive adapter; i.e. PS/2 and DB9 connectors with
> appropriate pins interconnected. That will work *only* for a mouse that
is
> smart enough to operate in either ps/2 or serial mode. Those that are
come
> with an adapter of the sort you need.
>
> An active adapter (with appropriate electronics) to make a not-so-smart
> mouse do this is possible but not practical. Rodents are really cheap
> these days.
>
> Roby

Not to mention that you can buy one of these adapters for next to nothing.

SteveH

Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote in message news:<JY6dnQwuTZjMD2vdRVn-jw@adelphia.com>...
> Hristo Kolev wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
> > mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated
>
> I assume you mean a passive adapter; i.e. PS/2 and DB9 connectors with
> appropriate pins interconnected. That will work *only* for a mouse that is
> smart enough to operate in either ps/2 or serial mode. Those that are come
> with an adapter of the sort you need.
>
> An active adapter (with appropriate electronics) to make a not-so-smart
> mouse do this is possible but not practical. Rodents are really cheap
> these days.
>
> Roby

I understand, but I think the mouse is one of the "smart" type.
Unfortunately I do not have such an adapter and here in Bulgaria no
retailer offers such. Meanwhile no retailer in the US or Western
europe ships electronics to Bulgaria, so I just have no choice but to
make one myself (besides that it is fun to do it myself). Thus I need
shematics for both types of adapters. I was just unable to find any. I
found many for PS/2->USB, USB->PS/2, even DB9->PS/2, but no PS/2->DB9.
Thanks in advance.
Hristo

Hristo Kolev wrote:

> Roby <roby@no-address.net> wrote in message news:<JY6dnQwuTZjMD2vdRVn-jw@adelphia.com>...
>
>>Hristo Kolev wrote:
>>

>>>Hello,
>>>Does anyone know how can I build an adapter with which to plug a PS/2
>>>mouse into a COM port? Schematics will be appreciated
>>
>>I assume you mean a passive adapter; i.e. PS/2 and DB9 connectors with
>>appropriate pins interconnected. That will work *only* for a mouse that is
>>smart enough to operate in either ps/2 or serial mode. Those that are come
>>with an adapter of the sort you need.
>>
>>An active adapter (with appropriate electronics) to make a not-so-smart
>>mouse do this is possible but not practical. Rodents are really cheap
>>these days.
>>
>>Roby
>

> I understand, but I think the mouse is one of the "smart" type.
> Unfortunately I do not have such an adapter and here in Bulgaria no
> retailer offers such. Meanwhile no retailer in the US or Western
> europe ships electronics to Bulgaria, so I just have no choice but to
> make one myself (besides that it is fun to do it myself). Thus I need
> shematics for both types of adapters. I was just unable to find any. I
> found many for PS/2->USB, USB->PS/2, even DB9->PS/2, but no PS/2->DB9.
> Thanks in advance.
> Hristo

You can't put a 'normal' PS2 mouse on a 'normal' serial port because the
signals are not equivalent. In particular, and setting aside voltage
problems for the moment, the PS2 mouse depends on a data clock and there is
none on a standard serial port.

There are, or at least were, some mice made that had signals for both,
usually called "combo" mice, but they're not common and unless yours says
so then it isn't.

See here http://www.ctips.com/ps2.html