[SOLVED] PS/2 connectors for keyboard and mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 24, 2022
I want to know that if the a computer is using a PS/2 connector is this a good indication it will most likely recognizes legacy OS's. I need to install a old US Robotics Voice modem 5695 PCI card. I need the OS to recognized the hardware.

I have 5200 workstation 10 pro and it will not recognize I have a modem installed, US Robotics Tech explained that the OS is not backwards compatible so I need to load older OS however it is not just the OS causing the problem it is both the OS and the HW config.

So I am asking if a computer has a PS/2 connection do you think that mean the HW is most likely also legacy, chip set bios etc.

Thanks
Rick

Solution
hi, PS/2 is still used even now in modern hardware, it is no indication of anything, its there in case USB fails (so you can still control your PC, you can use PS/2 to USB adapter in this case aswell)
PCI has been scrapped few years ago around 2005 i guess? systems from back then had PCI

btw pci-e to pci risers do still exists for legacy hardware purposes
https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-PCI-Express-Riser-Extender/dp/B00KZHDSLQ
you could throw old operating system into VM to run that on modern PC
hi, PS/2 is still used even now in modern hardware, it is no indication of anything, its there in case USB fails (so you can still control your PC, you can use PS/2 to USB adapter in this case aswell)
PCI has been scrapped few years ago around 2005 i guess? systems from back then had PCI

btw pci-e to pci risers do still exists for legacy hardware purposes
https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-PCI-Express-Riser-Extender/dp/B00KZHDSLQ
you could throw old operating system into VM to run that on modern PC

Solution
No, having a PS/2 port is not indicative of being a "legacy" PC. My motherboard, an Asrock B550 Steel Legend, has one.

Depending on what OS the software is compatible with, you may have to find hardware that's period appropriate as older OSes don't react very well with modern hardware. For example, Windows 7 by default doesn't know how to use USB 3.0, so you can't use USB 3.0 devices until you get the appropriate drivers installed.

As above. I myself have several Gigabyte motherboards with 2 PS/2 ports that do not support anything below Windows Vista (no drivers for earlier OS's). You need to go all the way back to Windows XP/2000 compatible hardware as that's as current as the drivers get. Frankly, it's not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.