PS/2 keyboard to USB Adapter not working

josh82

Honorable
Apr 16, 2013
Please folks I really need help on this. I have a computer Lenovo with Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit. I bought an Adapter PS/2 to USB for my Keyboard but with so many temptations over and over my computer doesn't recognize it.

Please any one can help me? Maybe there is some drivers that need to be installed.

Thank you.

jackson1420

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
There shouldn't be any drivers as those work on a plug n' play basis.

Try using different USB ports. Sometimes that kick starts it. Try further testing it on another system if possible and if it fails on both systems then the adapter might be hosed.

Joe67

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
I found this @ clickykeyboards.com
Answer: The vast majority of commonly available ps2 to USB converters are simple passive ADAPTERS that simply change the plug shape to match the outlet. These ADAPTERS only function to connect the ps/2 wires to the approximate USB wires. Simple ps/2 to USB adapters do not use specific software drivers.

In general, most users having trouble connecting their keyboard to newer computers are looking for a ps/2 to USB signal CONVERTER. These devices use an integrated circuit (pre-programmed chip) to actively translate the ps/2 keyboard signal and convert it into a USB keyboard signal.

This allows the vintage ps/2 keyboard to be automatically recognized by the operating system as if it were a standard, modern USB keyboard. A well-designed active ps/2 to USB converter will use the built-in operating system drivers for a USB keyboard (for example in Microsoft Windows XP, kbdclass.sys and kbdhid.sys).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg487435.aspx
Hope this helps ya..

depends on what type of keyboard is being used. if they have a classic ibm model m or the like then its well worth the investment.

if you have a ps2 port on your pc use that instead.

if you dont and have a nice keyboard like i said before you need the adapter that was mentioned.

if you have a crappy keyboard which doesnt work with a ps2 to usb then just buy a new usb keyboard as hangthe9 said.

PaulJRichardson

Reputable
May 1, 2015
Greetings TomsHardware Folks,

It's really strange that this is a mature folks (aka, beyond teen) hangout now. I remember when it was swaggish ;-)

Joe67 is correct, although most people will only have adapters (dumb cables, in the sense that there is no 'intelligent/digital' processing that occurs inside the cable, even if it has a slight bulge), and will need to either buy a signal converter (PS2 to USB), or else buy a USB device (kb or mouse, probably) which are very cheap on Amazon, IFF (if and only if), the below 2 methods do NOT work for them.

I had sort of forgotten the info about converter cables (I've spent most of my time recently on Win8.1/Win10 & Ubuntu newer hardware. (I always appreciate URL Links with answers too, so thanks for that too Joe). So I played around a bit, and realized some of the things I was doing might be too 'old' school for some other folks to know about.

• Note #1: The below methods are more applicable in the unusual case where your hw (hardware) is not being recognized, such as seeing absolutely nothing happen when you plug or unplug it.
    Note # 2: a dumb adapter doesn't always prevent hw (hardware) from being recognized, since it only rearranges the shape/orientation of the wire>pin connectors, but it is one possible cause, such as if some pins are optional, not used, or other strange scenarios.
For newbies (new to Windows 98/XP) attempting this on old hardware (and younger folks, who were born after the days when we had to look at the plugs on the mobo (motherboard) before we could 'play'), you'll find some of the tools used to test out standard drivers (eg., plug and play, when the hardware, often Chinese isn't recognized), per the below two methods.

Method #1:

• ■first, lets see if you can kick start the PC to recognize the hw, using the device manager, as follows
    ■right click on 'my computer' (usually on desktop or start menu), and select manage
    ■if you can't find 'my computer', look for the device manager in control panel (via start > settings)
    ■in device manager from the top of the tree/node (you might need to change view or scroll), find your computer name
    ■right click on your computer name there, and then left click on "scan for hardware changes"
    ■if your device is found, great, follow the wizard prompts to install/configure it. If not, then proceed to method 2.

Method #2:

• ■Use this to iteratively select standard hardware that might work for you
    ■Go to: Start Menu > Settings > Control Panel > Add Hardware > Wizard
    ■In the wizard, select the most generic USB device that seems suitable (same type of device)
    ■complete the wizard and test the device, if it doesn't work, then repeat the wizard again
    ■you can open the device manager (per method 1 above, or the below shortcut, to uninstall if you want (optional)
    ■if you decide to uninstall the device you installed as a test, just be sure its the same one, otherwise just leave it there
    ■notice that these tests (each time you run the wizard), there is no real damage being done, as the tests are reversible/harmless

Thanks again!,
Paul

:bounce:

SHORTCUTS -> go to Start>Run, or WinKey+R, then type below and hit enter:

• ■For Control Panel type (and hit enter): control
    ■For Device Manager type (and hit enter): devmgmt.msc
    ■For Add HW Wizard type (and hit enter): hdwwiz.cpl