Question PS help

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
I think my PS, 2 years old went bad. Bout a new one corsair hx750i, unpluigged old, first thing I noticed, biggest plug is 9 pins long, old ps had a 9 pin slot but longest on new PS is 7 pins. MB is asrock extreme6. Help...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. The psu is proprietary. All psus are, even models are different hookups at the psu. It's done on purpose to stop ppl adding extra cables where they aren't supposed to go.

You need to use the cables that came with the Corsair on the Corsair, you cannot use the cables that came with the Seasonic.

The only connectors you need worry about is the component end, not the psu end. If the Seasonic Focus Gold died after only 2 years, either its defective and is covered under warranty or there's an issue with the pc that caused a failure. Those units don't usually die in that length of time.

Craig234

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
It's disappoimting even the same brand isn't compatible. If a PS is bought and unopened years, say 10, how degraded is it?

Replacing wiring is tricky, have to get several, miss none, get all right.

Not even sure it's PS. PC wouldn't power on at all but USB devices receive power. pC very dusty but MB vertical and not dusty.

Posting on PS4 big headache, backspace and enter exit text entry...

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not. Not really. Not until it's seem some use, or unless subject to abnormal temperatures.

Wiring is easy. 2 goto motherboard, that's it. Everything else is peripherals like maybe standalone drives, gpu etc.

You won't know if it's the psu until you get it hooked up, even a temporary messy hookup works. Wont know until it's done.

I don't use pc much, mostly smartphone for posting here.