Question PS replacement

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
I managed to remove existing connections, but having a problem removing a Sata conn. My eyesight is not what it use to be, so with a flashlight, it seems like its a vertical plug in instead of it being inserted into the Sata connector itself, though the manual says 'sata'. The MB is Asus A88X-Pro. I tried to yank it, but having difficulty. I do not want to mess up the Sata connector. Please help, i got this far,

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Make sure there isn't a little metal latch, on the cable, that you have to press, to get the cable off.
what are you saying 'make sure there isn't a metal latch or should there be a latch? I see a seperate side of it but i do not know if its metal. the entire connector is black, but i tried squeezing the flap and pulled, but it won't release.

Is the problem at the power supply end of the cable?

Or at the other end, where the cable connects to the motherboard SATA port?

Some cable connections to the motherboard SATA ports are just a press fit. No latching mechanism at all. Just pressure. These can accidentally become disconnected quite easily.

Others have a small latch that you must depress to properly detach the cable. These don't disconnect easily. They lock into place. You'd depress the latch with a fingertip if it exists.

The latching mechanism is similar to the latch found on that biggest cable on your power supply....the one that is as big around as your thumb and has a connector a couple of inches wide.

You may need to remove side panels or do what you have to do to see inside better.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Is the problem at the power supply end of the cable?

Or at the other end, where the cable connects to the motherboard SATA port?

Some cable connections to the motherboard SATA ports are just a press fit. No latching mechanism at all. Just pressure. These can accidentally become disconnected quite easily.

Others have a small latch that you must depress to properly detach the cable. These don't disconnect easily. They lock into place. You'd depress the latch with a fingertip if it exists.

The latching mechanism is similar to the latch found on that biggest cable on your power supply....the one that is as big around as your thumb and has a connector a couple of inches wide.

You may need to remove side panels or do what you have to do to see inside better.
Apparently it has nothing to do with the sata connectors, its just that the black connectors are adjacent to them. Yes, its where the PS cable is connected to it, which is preventing me to remove the old PS. I have removed one side of the case to get at it. I even tried pulling it with pliers, carefully so as not to ruin the socket. Maybe, I am too care full.

DSzymborski

Titan
What is imgur ??? Why can't i upload it here? I do have a photo, but don't know how to do it here? Other forums show an upload box, i do not se one here.

There's no upload box because we do not host images here.

I'm a bit confused about your overall explanation. You say you're replacing a power supply, but what does that have to do with the motherboard's SATA ports? There's no cable that goes from a power supply directly into a SATA port on the motherboard. SATA power cables go from the power supply directly into the storage drive. SATA data cables go from the storage drive into the motherboard.

A bit tricky to provide advice about what you're doing without knowing exactly what you're doing.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
It is a photo sharing service here. Click on "+New Post" button on top left, upload the photo and post the link here.
Sorry, I do not see "+new post" at the top left, but it is not necessary now, cause I finally was able to unplug them. I thought it was one 'plug', so i was pulling it as a whole, until by accident my plier landed on one of the 2 connectors, and it was easy to remove both of them . It was an important cable, according to the manual, the pc would not boot without that connection. Now, i came across another problem with the new PS. Although it fits the area where the old one was, the holes don't line up with the case. Its an ATX case, i think its called.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
What's the brand name and model of your case?

And of the old PSU?

And of the new PSU?
It never was a brand name...it came from a 3rd party disributor which was considered high quality at the time. Does ABS awesome sound familiar? The old PS 's name is "Cooler Master" and the replacement is PowerSpec....obviously not brands. I MAY have a chance to go from 500w to 650w, although more power but most likely 3rd party equip. This one matched the power of the old PS. BTW, the old PS lasted from 2016. Is that a good run?

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
Is this it or close to it:

https://www.newegg.com/abs-computer-technologies-awesome-v2-20-student-home-office/p/N82E16883102646

I see NO details about whatever PS came with it.

6 years is a decent run for a PS.

With no more details, it's tough to say why you can't install the new PS.

Does your old PS and the new PS have the exact same dimensions...width, height, depth?

I'd be highly suspicious of a "PowerSpec" power supply, but I have no idea why you bought that specific unit.
The new PS is a half inch larger in all directions than the old one. Yes that is my case...is ABS still in business? I am not a tech wiz about hardware, so when i went to micro center, the salesman asked about the old PS wattage and i told him 500w and that is what he gave me, although at first he offered a 650w . I thought that was an overkill. I am not a gamer. Hey, the first PS lasted 6 years, ..so name brands don't necessarily mean they are better, I guess.

Novel8

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2013
The new PS is a half inch larger in all directions than the old one. Yes that is my case...is ABS still in business? I am not a tech wiz about hardware, so when i went to micro center, the salesman asked about the old PS wattage and i told him 500w and that is what he gave me, although at first he offered a 650w . I thought that was an overkill. I am not a gamer. Hey, the first PS lasted 6 years, ..so name brands don't necessarily mean they are better, I guess.
OK, I exchanged PS for a semi modular type and more powerful 650w as to 500w. On this new one 2 cables are attached...the 24 pin and the cpu one. The PS shows 3 'outlets named, HDD.SATA and Floppy. The last one is confusing..do they mean the old Floppy Drives? I still have my Floppy disc drive, but it would be connected via ide cable and I believe a Molex connector., although i had removed those connectors long time ago. I just never bothered to remove it. So again, anyone know why its included? IF ITS OF NO USE, i wii leave it out..less clutter. The PS is MetroCenters own Brand, PowerSpec.

I assume the floppy cable is not permanently connected to the power supply...just ignore it.

If you don't have a heavy duty gaming type video card, 500 watts is plenty. Probably 400 would be OK. I don't use a video card myself and couldn't use 250 watts on my PC even under very extreme load.

I'd like to see some very high quality 400 watt power supplies on the market, but they are in short supply. Manufacturers figure it isn't worth their while.