ps & vs 2.0

mito

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
What games make intensive use of ps2.0?

/\/\ito
----------
asus a7n8x dlx (bios 1003), xp2600/333, 2x512mb pc2700, radeon 9800pro 128mb, winxp sp1, dx 9.0b, catalyst 4.5
Note: no OC!

cleeve

Illustrious
Far Cry, the latest Tomb Raider... a couple more.

Lots coming out soon though. Half Life 2, among tons of upcoming titles.

Aren't Prince of Persia, and Deus Ex 2 other titles that encorporate a fair amount of PS2.0 effects?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Prince of Persia yes,

Deux Ex 2 is Invisiable War?

If that is then I'm guessing it doesn't have much ps 2.0, didn't see much in the game so far.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
nah it doesnt

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Oh well 1 out of 2.

I wasn't impressed by either so it's DX8.1/PS1.4 games for me! :cool:

What about MineSweeper? :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 06/17/04 06:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
so far pixel shading effects havent impressed me at all. except for the water effects in farcry ,we havent seen crap except for some stupid water ripples

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
lol, true, but the advanced things in dx9 was things like normal map support, in Dx 8 had to hand write a vertex shader in the vertex coordiante system.

Most of it was ease of programming more then anything else.

Water and anything to do with alpha was way better in Dx9!

I don't know man, If you play Morrowind you know that water can look VERY sweet with DX8.1/PS1.4 as well. Seriously When I levitate over the sea I get great depth even at angles, and the shine, ripples etc. are very impressive compared to the XBOX version I played first when just seeing what a game looked like on that 'new' console (playing on XBOX was what got me hooked, otherwise I wouldn't have know it existed).

Comparing FarCry's water effects to Morrowind's doesn't impress me in the slightest. I'd say Morrowind is (to me) one of the most visually stunning games of the past 2 years, as far as incremental leaps goes, heck I was crying when I had to pop out the R8500DV and put in the RageFury or later the AIWPCI, because it once again looked too much like the XBOX version.

I like you am not impressed with the new games, I expect alot of future games to impress the hell out of me again, just like Morrowind did, but so far, it's just been a little window dressing. D]|[, HL2, and a few others LOOK like they may bring some advanatges to the table. However, having said that the screenies of STALKER have been absolutely CRAP IMNSHO! Hopefully the game play is better, like UT2K4's improvements. There was so much hype about STALKER last year, but really the stuff that came out of E3 and on G4-TECHTV have just showed me that their animals and monster move unrealistically, and the visuals are far below that of FarCry, which is ok, but not too impressive sofar. Let's see what the patch has to offer.

<b>Entium</b>, really I'm not denouncing DX9, I expect great things, and ease of use for coders should mean better games to us quicker; I'm just saying having played the FarCry demo, that I prefer Morrowind and UT2K4 of all the things that are on offer, and that really the slight improvement to the visuals in FARCRY hasn't impressed me enough sofar, perhaps the patch will change that, and perhaps, PERHAPS the expected SM3.0 stuff. I'm just sceptical until then.

However I expect 2 well-known titles to change all that shortly. I just hope they ship before another X-mas comes and goes AGAIN!

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
I know your not denouncing out. I was just giving my point of view :)

I don't like Far Cry that much either. Wasn' the greatest of games.

Morrwind did some nice stuff with ATi's cards, It had support for true form, wow! meshes were nice.

Stalker what a waste of an engine, at least higher some good artists lol

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ive never played Morrowind. i know, i know. yes you can kill me now, i am not worthy of life anymore :(

to be honest Grape, NO GAMES really impress me lately. im still playing Diablo2:LOD, Rune, and Quake3! i have UT2004 and BF:Vietnam and WC3 and a bunch of other newer games all collecting dust.. now i have played WC3 alot, and i know its not in the same genre as D2, but i play D2 over WC3.. games are all just crap now!

have you ever played C&C? original, and Tiberian Sun? i grew up on those games. then a few months ago, i bought C&C:Generals. it was about that time that i realized how bleak the present situation actually is ;/

-------

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
Farcry is not fun to me. graphically, it didnt impress me either. its a "new" game, its supposed to have higher resolution textures and stuff, but nothing that made me go "wow" in the slightest little bit... well except maybe the rock textures from the beach (demo), the lighting from the sun has a very "real" look to the color and whatnot on those rocks

-------

entium

Distinguished
May 23, 2004
Thats the thing today's engine rely on graphics cards power more. back in the days 3d programmers had to work for a living lol. Its a dying art :/

Truely unfortunate. Only a hand full of use really know what the true potential that can be be pushed. I'm not saying I'm better or even equel to Sweeny or Carmack. I use a lot tricks to imporve performance for my engine. But over all its about the same performance wise as the other engines.

Staker yeah they talk about higher polycounts same as my site does but in truth its a bit or marketing and some very cleaver programming techniques :). Thats why I spend so much time on my shaders its not that they aren't working or looking right. I want that absolute performance to come out without any visual loss.

LOL!

Like I said if it wasn't for my experiment with the XBOX (man I hate MS!) and the three games I rented from blockbuster (Project Gotham, and some other thing) I too would never have seen Morrowind, and likely would never have played it. Those I did show the game to, and lent to, really loved it. But really I'm not trying to promote it, it's just a game I like (hey at least it's more current than CS! :wink: ). The reason I usually mention it as working is because of all the games I've had it's the most finicky to get running well on XP. On Win 2K(4) :lol: I have NEVER ever had a crash or issue, even with a fresh install. With XP if I forget to readjust the settings after a fresh install to those recommended from the support site I invariably crash to desktop within 5-20 minutes. So I mention it because it's the most finicky game I own. I mention UT2K$ because of course it's really the newest. I haven't had time for playing the other demos of games, so I don't mention them unless I am specfifically testing for stability.

Anywhoo, that's about 2 minutes of your life you'll never get back, betcha didn't need all that! ooops! :eek:

Oh, well....

Unfortunately C&C are not my kind of games, I don't like the style, First person or third person are more my games, plus of Course sports games like EA's NHL, TigerWoods, Formula1, and Rugby.

The sad thing is as much as we talk about the cards and the games and whooppdedooo, the reality is I was more impressed by the effects of rthdribl than any game, and the gameplay of most games has suffered either because of the focus primarily on graphics or that the graphics have been used to cover up the poor gameplay. Seriously, UT2K4, RainbowSix 3 and GTA-VC have been the only recent non sports games to impress me since Morrowind, other than sports games of course, and there history has created the gameplay. Even alot of the WorldWar titles have been lack-luster IMO.

Anywhoo, both HL2 and D3 are my kinds of games, and I hope the deliver, and even more importantly I hope the ship/sell soon!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheGreatGrapeApe on 06/17/04 07:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
entium are you programming at this very moment? because your writing is about as hard to decypher! =p

ape: i could always "download" (quotes dont actually imply actual downloading) it i guess, and try before i buy

-------

Slava

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2002
to be honest Grape, NO GAMES really impress me lately. im still playing Diablo2:LOD, Rune, and Quake3! i have UT2004 and BF:Vietnam and WC3 and a bunch of other newer games all collecting dust.. now i have played WC3 alot, and i know its not in the same genre as D2, but i play D2 over WC3.. games are all just crap now!

have you ever played C&C? original, and Tiberian Sun? i grew up on those games. then a few months ago, i bought C&C:Generals. it was about that time that i realized how bleak the present situation actually is ;/
LOL! This is so true. In your list you did not mention the Baldur's Gate series. If you passed it up, by all means get it and play it and you will not be impressed by new games for years to come :smile:

<font color=green>"The creative powers of English morphology are pathetic compared to what we find in other languages." (Steven Pinker, The Language Instinct)</font color=green> :cool: