PS2 not keeping track of time, blue orbs no longer spinning, static

Jordan83211

Distinguished
May 22, 2016
So my PS2 for some odd reason out of nowhere stopped keeping track of time and the date, and the blue orbs or whatever it is on the menus are no longer spinning, only if I reconfigure the date and time, which gets reset when I reset the console or turn it off. What can I do to fix this?

Solution
Finally, a forum that has something to do with PS2!
The reason why your PS2 is not keeping track of the date and time and the orbs on the menu are static is because there is a small CMOS battery inside the PlayStation 2 that holds the date and time on it. Once that battery dies, the PS2 no longer will keep track of the time. The orbs on the menu are connected to the clock and are associated with it, so that's why it's static. It's the date and time. So all you need to do is open up the system, order a new PS2 battery online on ebay or something like that, and replace it with the old one, and it should be fixed! On the PS2 fats, you need to dig deeper with the screws and open more things till you reach the motherboard. With the slim...

ChaoticWolf

Honorable
Finally, a forum that has something to do with PS2!
The reason why your PS2 is not keeping track of the date and time and the orbs on the menu are static is because there is a small CMOS battery inside the PlayStation 2 that holds the date and time on it. Once that battery dies, the PS2 no longer will keep track of the time. The orbs on the menu are connected to the clock and are associated with it, so that's why it's static. It's the date and time. So all you need to do is open up the system, order a new PS2 battery online on ebay or something like that, and replace it with the old one, and it should be fixed! On the PS2 fats, you need to dig deeper with the screws and open more things till you reach the motherboard. With the slim, when you first open it, it will be one of the first few things you'll see. It's hooked up to the motherboard, so be careful, good luck!

Solution

Jordan83211

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

So all I need to do is order a new battery for the ps2 and open up my system and replace it? :)

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

Yup! That's all you need to do! Good luck man

Jordan83211

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Alright, thanks man!

Jordan83211

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Alright, so I fixed the issue! I didn't need to order a new battery online, so what I did was call up one of my good friends that has lots of spare parts in his garage and his rooms and stuff, and asked him if he had a spare ps2 battery laying around, because he has a lot of parts from his past gaming consoles, he had one, I did what you told me to do within minutes since I have a ps2 slim and its the easiest console to perform opening on and it got fixed!
There's just one more problem, I have another PS2 that's a fat model that I haven't touched in a year or two, and I just got a CD game which is the blue bottomed discs and I put it in this morning and the drive started making weird grinding sounds and comes up with a disc read error SOMETIMES. Sometimes, it will read, but will be VERY noisy and sounds like it's scratching the disc. Do you know how to fix this? Want me to make another thread?

ChaoticWolf

Honorable

I know a fix for this, make another thread and I'll help you out my man

Jordan83211

Distinguished
May 22, 2016

Alright, I'll see you there