Ps2 slim vs ps3 fat reliability

Cmiller00000

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Hi all looking to pick one of the above up for playing a few classics on due to the age I dunno what I'll be best with as the most common issue i have seen is laser error vs ylod

Before anyone asks I have no intention of emulating these off the pc as I'm only intending to use physical media

Just get any. The ylod is quite uncommon and as long as you clean the systems out so that there is no dust blocking the cooling they will run for a long time.

My ps2 was pulled from the trash (soaked because it had rained) in 2005 and had a broken disk drive. 40€ later and it was working again. It did die in 2014 when playing sotc because the fan broke and I didn't notice tho :p.

My ps3 had a broken drive and a lot of wear but once again was an easy fix and still running till this day.

The things that are most likely to break are the hdd (a fat ps2 can have a hdd and that is used for certain games) or the drives. Both are easy and quite cheap fixes (the bluray drive in the ps3 is quite a bit more expensive tho).

The problem with the fat PS3 is that only certain ones are capable of PS2 backwards compatibility (either via hardware or software). So you have to be really careful in which one you choose to buy.

I think it would be cheaper and less time consuming to find a PS2 slim.

Cmiller00000

Reputable
Apr 26, 2015
Thanks guys and yes it's purely for ps2 games I have a ps3 slim that I use for ps3 and psx games and cost wise the ps2 slim is looking a cheaper option it's just finding a decent wired controller that still works had massive problems with ps2 controllers back in the day as I was stupid and coiled them up lol