PS3 Controller on PC

Huaie

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Does any USB cable work to play games on PC with the PS3 controller? Because I want to buy a longer cable, but I wonder if it's going to work.

Yes - there is nothing special about that cable - note however that the end going into the controller is smaller than a standard usb connector - so .... it might be easier for you to buy a usb extension cable and plug the usb of your current cable into the female end of the extension and the other end of the extension into the ps3.

I charge my controllers using whatever cable is connected to a charger / PC USB port - never had a problem.

Huaie

Prominent
May 8, 2017

To be more specific, the longer cable that I want to buy is like a longer version of the original that comes with the PS3. USB standard to mini USB.

Huaie

Prominent
May 8, 2017

But does it work to play games on PC like the original cable that comes with the PS3?

Ok ... if you can get one like that .... that's even better! I just thought it would be harder to find one like that than a standard usb extension.

Yes - I tend to use Anker braided after-market cables as they don't tie themselves in knots. They work for charging and playing just fine.

I guess at some point - there would be some max length to usb cable length due to the resistance of the wire - that length would vary with the gauge of the wire in the usb connector and ... who knows how to figure that out? lol. Even with a 'cheap' usb wire - the length would be considerable though. As a practical example, in my home theater, I use an external usb keyboard/touchpad. The length of the cable (using usb extensions) is about 40 feet. It works perfectly.

I had no idea about that ... thanks for the info! I guess I should consider myself fortunate to have a perfectly working 40 foot usb keyboard (it's even backlit which must mean it uses a little more current).

I'm a little surprised to see that high speed devices can have a longer cable than low speed devices. I would have thought it would be the other way around - I must be thinking about it wrong.

That "USB Cable Length Limitations: ...." has triggered a vague memory for me (i'm getting old, all memories are vague lol). I set that keyboard up a few years back. I sorta, kinda remember thinking at the time "It's a shame I can't get one long usb extension cable instead of using several" ... the ""USB Cable Length Limitations: ...." would expain why I couldn't find one of 40 feet lol.

Huaie

Prominent
May 8, 2017
Thankls for the answer guys! I pretend to buy two 3.5 m cable to play with my friends so I wanted to know if any cable would work to play games on steam for example.

There are a few cables that may transmit power only, if they're super super super cheap. But USB cables aren't really expensive anyways.