Ps3 Heating Up?

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
I have a PS3 that I only use for playing RDR 1 and The Last Of Us, because they're not available to play on PC. So it feels like it is heating up. The vents behind are hot to touch. The fan is on normal speed. It speeds up after a couple of hours and sounds like a jet engine.

After 10 minutes, with the fans still spinning slow, the case and bottom and behind of the PS3 tend to get hot.

The thing is wanted to ask is, if it overheats, does it shut down, restart, or throttle? Or does it just die?

I have a PS3 that I only use for playing RDR 1 and The Last Of Us, because they're not available to play on PC. So it feels like it is heating up. The vents behind are hot to touch. The fan is on normal speed. It speeds up after a couple of hours and sounds like a jet engine.

After 10 minutes, with the fans still spinning slow, the case and bottom and behind of the PS3 tend to get hot.

The thing is wanted to ask is, if it overheats, does it shut down, restart, or throttle? Or does it just die?
Usually it would shutdown if it being played for too long, Try to change the thermal paste with a good paste like gelid gc extreme, it'll probably help transfer the heat and dissipate propperly. also dont forget to clean the whole fan and heatfins so that it could suck more air.

Also sometimes people forget those consoles work like small pc systems. So don’t keep them in a closed cabinet etc. You might even consider a laptop cooler for it to sit on. I have a kitchen style shelf from Amazon that is a chrome wire shelf kind of like you’d use in a pantry that my Xbox and ps3 sit on. Something like that is good for letting heat dissipate.