PS3 Slim Has Updated 45-nm Cell/B.E. Chip

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
This is pretty sweet actually. I like the whole idea behind the new thin design. Lower power, lower price, smaller size... everything was enhanced. Screw PS2 compatibility... GET A PS2!

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]This is pretty sweet actually. I like the whole idea behind the new thin design. Lower power, lower price, smaller size... everything was enhanced. Screw PS2 compatibility... GET A PS2![/citation]Buy a PS2 for $100 and a PS3 doe $300 and we're back to the original PS3...

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Buy a PS2 for $100 and a PS3 for $300 and we're back to the original PS3...[/citation]Sorry fixed.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Why do people still play PS2 games? Maybe I am in the minority but when the PS3 came out I started playing PS3 games. The PS2 hasn't seen the light of day in almost two years and I have no desire to bust out any old games to play.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Bringing out a new generation would be a great time for them to bust out a new GPU also, instead of the pathetic excuse they have in the last 2 generations.

And yes, I still occasionally play PS2 games.

G

Now is the time to buy. Sony should have done this two years ago.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Let the console wars (re-)start! No way Nintendo will just sit by and watch, nor will Microsoft. Again, the consumers win! Car companies take note, this is how the game should be played! Give us better, cleaner and cheaper and we'll buy your cars. Anyway I digress.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]Buy a PS2 for $100 and a PS3 doe $300 and we're back to the original PS3...[/citation]Listen, I understand but honestly, do you actually use PS2 games? I told my friend about this same thing with the new design and he says, "Awww man, that blows... I liked the fact the original was backwards compatible EVEN THOUGH I DONT USE IT!" I was like dude, it's people like you that screw everything up.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
If they would've added a few GB's of RAM, and a new GPU, keeping almost everyother component. They would've had a console that could walk over everything

chris13th

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]If they would've added a few GB's of RAM, and a new GPU, keeping almost everyother component. They would've had a console that could walk over everything[/citation]
Hardware-wise, maybe true. That doesn't help the fact that companies still have to put in 10 times more effort to make their games work with the cell processor.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Why do people still complain about PS2 backwards compatibility but never Xbox? Overall the PS3 has had more b/c than Xbox 360 has ever had, and now that the PS3 software library has roughly equaled the 360's as far as multi plats go, and surpassed it as far as exclusives go, people still want to play PS2 games? The PS2 has been around for 9 years... if you still don't have one it's your own fault.

jcatech

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Why do people still play PS2 games? Maybe I am in the minority but when the PS3 came out I started playing PS3 games. The PS2 hasn't seen the light of day in almost two years and I have no desire to bust out any old games to play.[/citation]

I think the release pictures are wrong, because I just saw an overview video and the depth is almost the same.

jcatech

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Sushi Warrior[/nom]I still can't understand why they made it deeper, why make a "slim" console that's bigger in one dimension? It's not small enough.[/citation]

I think the release pictures are wrong, because I just saw an overview video and the depth is almost the same.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]If they would've added a few GB's of RAM, and a new GPU, keeping almost everyother component. They would've had a console that could walk over everything[/citation]
That would be making a new console, not just a process upgrade.

[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Why do people still complain about PS2 backwards compatibility but never Xbox? [/citation]
Because the Xbox has only ever stepped up compatibility. You can even buy and download some Xbox 1 games now. The PS3 has gradually stopped having any.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]badaxe2[/nom]Why do people still complain about PS2 backwards compatibility but never Xbox? Overall the PS3 has had more b/c than Xbox 360 has ever had, and now that the PS3 software library has roughly equaled the 360's as far as multi plats go, and surpassed it as far as exclusives go, people still want to play PS2 games? The PS2 has been around for 9 years... if you still don't have one it's your own fault.[/citation]
Because the PS2 actually had games worth playing.

nitto555rchallenger

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I still like my first gen PS3 better, due to the feature like having 4 usb ports, data ports, backwards capability, Linux installation, upgradable hdd, and I think it looks better. But yes it runs hot as hell, hotter then my Pc fully loaded, and its loud. Maybe in time, once the slim comes out and the price drops, I'll have enough confidence to mod my Ps3 into a water-cooled and thermostat on the system.

G

[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Why do people still play PS2 games? Maybe I am in the minority but when the PS3 came out I started playing PS3 games. The PS2 hasn't seen the light of day in almost two years and I have no desire to bust out any old games to play.[/citation]
Well I happen to love Battlefield MC on that old ps2 of mine =)

dmv915

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]nitto555rchallenger[/nom]I still like my first gen PS3 better, due to the feature like having 4 usb ports, data ports, backwards capability, Linux installation, upgradable hdd, and I think it looks better... [/citation]

You can still upgrade the hdd on the ps3 slim.

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Aionism[/nom]Because the PS2 actually had games worth playing.[/citation]
I hope everyone realized I was saying that the Xbox had no games and not the usual "LOL PS3 SUX", but probably not since I didn't make it too clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.