Question PS4 Controller Bluetooth Adpt connection

hossler

Reputable
Nov 2, 2014
Hello,

I'm having an issue I've been dealing with for several hours for something that should be taking 2 mins or so. I was trying to connect my ps4 controller to my pc for gaming using a Bluetooth USB Adapter that's in my PC.

However since my PC was prebuilt it came without bluetooth installed so it does not have any bluetooth settings of any capacity.

I plugged in the adapter and activated the controller to search for it aswell as in my control panel to search for pairing devices but it could not find it.

I have several thoughts on what the issue could be, primarily, it could be because that same adapter was once connected to my PS3 controller instead of the ps4 one. I've not used the ps3 controller and its bluetooth setting for a very long time since I've been using the ps4 one using its software ds4windows and a cord. I've since deleted that old ps3 ds3 software required to run it.(another nightmare to set up)

Whenever my adapter was working plugged in it would flash a little led light to indicate it was on. However it has not done so and there is no setting in my pc to activate "bluetooth" or engage it so my adapter wakes up. I could not even reconnect it to my ps3 controller again.(Might have to do with the missing software i deleted).

I've tried: Using both USB 3 and 2 for the adapter. It recognizes it in some ports but in usb 3 it says it should connect to a usb2 since a device is older, I think it meant the ps3 controller?

Whenever Connected to usb 3 or 2 it recognizes it as a bluetooth headset instead, ive searched its' properties in settings and I can find the old DS3 Bluetooth ps3 controller's profile on it with no way of deleting it.

I think this is why it refuses to cooperate with my PC because it can no longer unpair the old controller to find a new one. And since it can't reconnect it in the first place it's stuck in a stale situation.

I tried the adapter on my macbook instead and activated the bluetooth trough settings there and was able to make the ps3 controller be "erased" from the adapter and connect the ps4 controller from there. It worked without any problems and I thought I could just plug the adapter in my pc with no problem. I was wrong since the exact same problems came up with it just sitting in devices as a "Bluetooth dongle headset" with no settings for bluetooth and it's not blinking at all making pairing impossible.

My last attempt I followed a guide here with a similar problem as mine by:

""Go to START icon and type in services.msc and select services.

The dialog box that opens has a long list of stuff but look for BLUETOOTH SUPPORT SERVICE. Double click to open. Make sure it is AUTOMATIC. Go to the LOG tab. Choose THIS ACCOUNT and type in LOCAL SERVICE. A list of password (a 15-dot string) would appear. Delete all the password in the PASSWORD and under CONFIRM. Choose Okay.

It will ask you to restart the service. Once restarted, turn on your bluetooth adaptor again. Put your mouse in pairing mode and add the mouse. It works perfectly!!!""

Nothing happened after many restarts during the troubleshooting and after this. I've no idea what to do but I suspect is because the old ps3 controller is still somehow remembered by my PC and that it should be connected to it's adapter. I don't know how to delete it anymore since the software is gone for it. Should I redownload the software somehow and try again? I just want to play some games cordless. :(

Thanks!

ASK THE COMMUNITY