[SOLVED] PS4 Controller in Windows 10

Nov 30, 2018
Hey Everyone,
I am trying to set up a DS4 (Dual Shock 4) controller for use with Steam on my PC. I believe there is an issue going on with the built in drivers steam has or windows giving the controller a device descriptor.
Generally, when I plug the controller in, it works normally for 3-5 minutes before windows changes the device to being an Unknown USB Device from a Wireless Controller. I am wanting to know if I can manually set the driver to Steam's internal one somehow or if there is a 3rd party one I might be able to try.

I am connecting it vis a microUSB that I tested using connecting my phone to my PC and transferring some music for ~20 minutes so I know the cord is not the issue.
I've read a bit about DS4windows and it seems to be a bit hit or miss on whether it works or not, should I give it a shot?
Any advice on something that might help fix this would be appreciated although I've gone through a lot of threads (mostly from other sites) and haven't managed to get it fixed.

Running on Win 10 Pro N Version 1809 OS Build 17763.678
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
Motherboard: MSI Z390
GPU: AMD Radeon 8770 (I know I'm working on getting a better one XD)

Last edited:
Solution
Definitely give DS4Windows a shot, I never had any problems with it. Usually I'd put steam on big picture mode when using controller as well. When you do download DS4Windows, if you still have issues you could even try to uninstall the game controller device and then plugging it back in.
Sep 8, 2019
Definitely give DS4Windows a shot, I never had any problems with it. Usually I'd put steam on big picture mode when using controller as well. When you do download DS4Windows, if you still have issues you could even try to uninstall the game controller device and then plugging it back in.

Solution
Oct 6, 2019
I've been trying to get my ps4 controller to work again but now windows detects it only as an audio device. It used to work just fine a month ago.