[SOLVED] PS4 Controller won't charge but still works on PC

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I use a wireless PS4 controller for some games on my PC. A few days ago the battery got low so I plugged it in and the yellow light flashes for about 1 second then shuts off and it won't charge. I tried charging it using several different cables and from different sources like a wall adapter, battery bank and my PC. I figured it was fried but I had it plugged into my PC and loaded up Rocket League and the controller turned on. It seems to work fine as long as it's plugged into the PC so it must be getting some kind of power....right?. Idk if there are some settings I changed that won't allow it to charge but I'm stumped, any ideas?

So far I uninstalled the controller from my PC and tried to reinstall with no luck and I also reset the controller with no luck. I'm not sure I did either of those thing the right way though

Solution
Could well be a faulty battery in the controller. In effect leaving it plugged in drip feeds constant power to it, and charges the battery with it, if the battery is defective, it could be receiving the power to run, but won't be charging.

Out of curiosity, are you using a different cable when connecting it to the PC / PS4? If so, have you tried a different cable?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Could well be a faulty battery in the controller. In effect leaving it plugged in drip feeds constant power to it, and charges the battery with it, if the battery is defective, it could be receiving the power to run, but won't be charging.

Out of curiosity, are you using a different cable when connecting it to the PC / PS4? If so, have you tried a different cable?

Solution

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012

I don't own a PS4 but I have tried a few different cables when connecting it to the PC and the wall charger. When I plug it in to the PC I get the pop up "wireless controller is ready to go" but the yellow light will only flash for 1 second then shut off, same thing when trying to charge it from the wall or a battery bank.

TRENDING THREADS