PS4 ip Packet Fragmentation

Krumpinator

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015
i get a error on my ps4 saying "this router in use may not support ip packet fragmentation"
i feel like I've tried everything,
resetting my internet
changing mtu
static ip
port forwarding
DMZ

when i get this error i notice my connection speeds on ps4 go very low and the only temp fix i have found is to restart my modem and i won't get the error for about 1 day then it comes back.

Fragmentation is all about the MTU size and while your router probably does support fragmentation, PS4s are fussy about it.

1. Determine proper MTU size .. this article describes that : https://kb.netgear.com/19863/Ping-Test-to-determine-Optimal-MTU-Size-on-Router
2. Change the MTU size on the PS4.
3. Enjoy

Some routers will allow you to set an MTU size. This should work, but you will probably have to reboot the PS4 for it to see the change.

Krumpinator

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

i have a nighthawk router and mtu is set to 1500 which is the standard

1500 is the standard MTU for Ethernet. Your ISP probably does not use Ethernet to transport data from your home to their office. Most ISPs use cable, DSL, Uverse, or another technology for the "last mile" connection. These technologies add a bit the packet header and thus the MTU for an unfragmented packet is slightly less than 1500 (1473 is pretty common). Follow the steps listed in step one and see if 1500 is the proper size.

Krumpinator

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

1472 is where it stopped fragmentation

ive tried messing with the mtu as well before and couldnt find success

So you found the optimal MTU, 1472, and you manually set the MTU on the PS4 to 1472 and has the error message gone away or not? Lets focus on that first.

Some questions about your network:
Does the PC use WiFi or Ethernet?
Does the PS4 use WiFi or Ethernet?

Krumpinator

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

Ethernet for both and dont i have to add 28 to 1472 so it would be 1500?

Sorry ... had to pour another cup of coffee and crawl upstairs to look at my son's PS4. He had that error message 2 years ago and I forgot how I fixed it.

I went to manual setup, set the IP address to something random. I started getting that error message. Set MTU to a bunch of things. Still got error message. Went back to automatic setup (which went back to the IP address that the router forwards playstation ports to) and the error message went away. Seems like it is a misleading error message ... I had forgot that. I should have thought of it ... there are not many routers out there that's can't deal with fragmentation.

RE the speed test ... as I recall, speed tests on the PS4 are notoriously low. I have heard some people speculate that the speed test connect to Sony servers that are overloaded and thus yield low speed tests. I have heard other explanations and supposed fixes ... My son has never complained enough for me to spend much time on it.

Krumpinator

Reputable
Oct 18, 2015

yeah it could be, i just notice the speed test gets stuck up when it gives me that error and then my upload speed will be less than 1mb which is horrible for a competitive player like me