[SOLVED] PS4 Pro HDMI HDR and 27gl850

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
Recently I have centralised all my gaming so my PS4 Pro now lives on my PC desk. I have recently also bought the 27gl850 and use this monitor with my PS4 Pro. Unfortunately though I have not been able to get HDR to display correctly from my PS4 on this monitor. I have HDR enabled and all display settings set to automatic which the PS recommends, but using HDR from the PS the colours look very washed out and just horrible. Disabling HDR in the PS makes the colour very nice - but then no HDR. HDR is working correctly and looking very nice on PC using a Display Port.

So my question is, has anyone had any experience using a PS and this monitor and having HDR work correctly?

Solution
HDR is a gimmick with these monitors, it's not true HDR, don't use it at all.
I agree it’s not full HDR due to the low nits however it’s still useful. I have the 83A version which is the same panel. For example with HDR on it is far easier to spot the glint of an enemy sniper rifle in COD MW.
Jun 30, 2020
Btw I also have this monitor and a PS4 Pro, I use my Pro with a 1080p IPS monitor (my secondary monitor). In case you weren't aware, PS4 won't output 1440p, it will treat the monitor as a 1080p display. But yeah I recommend not bothering with HDR at all with this monitor.

Geoff Leven

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2013
I dont get it... So far the games I had been testing HDR on the PS4 were The last of Us 1 and 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4 and Shadow of the Colossus. Last night I downloaded the Latest God of War and was expecting the same washed out colour palette. But low and behold it looks beautiful and bright with HDR on. So seriously WTF?