PS4 Pro keeps losing picture on Samsung TV

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hey all,

So I recently purchased this TV:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-QN65Q9-65-Inch-Ultra/dp/B06XGXFPXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499639092&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+qled+65

I have no issues with it when hooking it up to my gaming rig. However, when I hook it up to my PS4 Pro, I have issues. When I first hooked it up, I had no picture at all. Changing HDMI cables fixed this, but I'll have a picture for about 5 minutes and then the screen will go black and then return in about 5 seconds. Any ideas what might be causing this? Thanks!

Solution

No. So long as you have resolution output set to auto (and you've verified it's at 4K) then that should be it. However, you can try to manually input the resolution setting to 2160p-RGB and stick it there permanently. I've heard of people having to do that when running their sets in HDR mode. This could also be an issue with Samsung's proprietary QLED panel technology.
It's an HDMI "handshake" issue with the Pro and it is a known issue. Many are reporting the same problem with several different brands of 4K TVs. To minimize handshaking issues, power on the TV first, then your PS4 (if both are connected and run through an A/V receiver turn that on first, then the TV, then the PS4 waiting 10-15 seconds between each).

Also check your video output settings to ensure your PS4 Pro is matching your TV's capabilities.

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006
Hey, thanks for your answer. So this particular TV comes with a box that receives all its HDMI connections and is turned on with the TV. I usually turn the TV on before the console. Do you think there are any resolution settings that can be changed in the Pro that would help?

No. So long as you have resolution output set to auto (and you've verified it's at 4K) then that should be it. However, you can try to manually input the resolution setting to 2160p-RGB and stick it there permanently. I've heard of people having to do that when running their sets in HDR mode. This could also be an issue with Samsung's proprietary QLED panel technology.

Solution

Vladdorin

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2006

So it seems that settings the Pro's resolution to RGB 2160 instead of automatic solved the issue