PS4 Remote Play For PC, Mac Arrives Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
Can someone explain the point of this to a non-console gamer?
If I have a PC and a Console why would I play the console version of a game on a PC at a much worse screen resolution and have to deal with streaming lag?

epobirs

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
If I have a PC and a Console why would I play the console version of a game on a PC at a much worse screen resolution and have to deal with streaming lag?

This is of zero interest to a non-console gamer. Why are you even compelled to comment on something concerning console use?

It isn't that complicated. Consoles are typically connected to the main TV in the home in a shared location like a living room. Other rooms may have TVs but they are usually of lesser size and/or quality. All too often there is conflict over who gets to use the preferred screen, so remote play allows the console to be used while the attached TV is displaying from a different input. Over a LAN the latency shouldn't be unacceptable and many types of games won't be affected. An end to end wired connection should be sufficient for 1080p but as WiFi is more common in residential console use Sony may have given it a low priority and will deliver it in an an update, as Microsoft did in their Xbox One to PC remote play support.

I'm currently not getting much use out of my console downstairs in the living room, mainly for lack of time and abundance of stress but if things get calmer I would run into the conflict described above and remote play could be of value, especially since the network is fully wired in my home.

Zhyr

Distinguished
May 19, 2013

This is of zero interest to a non-console gamer. Why are you even compelled to comment on something concerning console use?

Because they didn't understand, and wanted an explanation?

On the bright side, your explanation did explain it, because I didn't understand why people would want it either.

Adilaris

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

It isn't that complicated. Consoles are typically connected to the main TV in the home in a shared location like a living room. Other rooms may have TVs but they are usually of lesser size and/or quality. All too often there is conflict over who gets to use the preferred screen, so remote play allows the console to be used while the attached TV is displaying from a different input. Over a LAN the latency shouldn't be unacceptable and many types of games won't be affected. An end to end wired connection should be sufficient for 1080p but as WiFi is more common in residential console use Sony may have given it a low priority and will deliver it in an an update, as Microsoft did in their Xbox One to PC remote play support.

I'm currently not getting much use out of my console downstairs in the living room, mainly for lack of time and abundance of stress but if things get calmer I would run into the conflict described above and remote play could be of value, especially since the network is fully wired in my home.

Also, there are games that are exclusive to the console that you cannot play on pc without emulation. This solves that problem, and I imagine it would also allow for local video capture without needing a capture card; like shadowplay if you use a gtx card.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
My son has a laptop connected to his flat panel TV in his room. The PS4 is in our living room. He can now stream to his room without taking the bigscreen.

I'm excited to hear this.

jfkeenan

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Because the industry is testing the concept of streaming games. Someday your "console" will be dumb device with little memory or graphics power. You'll pay to play and they don't need to worry about the client hardware.

bwohl

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
i'm more looking forward to the PS4 drivers to use a the controller on my PC then playing PS4 games on it. i already have a 360 controller for PC games but this will be good if i ever need a second controller
Myself also - can I use the PS4 controller for Steam Big Screen now? ;)

Sublime1027

Reputable
Jul 28, 2015
I use my Playstation 4 controller with my PC everyday. DS4Windows is no longer being developed. It has turned into InputMapper and works flawlessly for me. I use it in big picture mode in steam and any game that works with the Xbox 360 controller. I'm using it wireless with a Bluetooth adapter. That's the only thing, make sure the dongle works with the ps4 controller. I even use the trackpad on the controller as a mouse on the desktop! InputMapper is an amazing program and I want everyone to at least know it is an option to use your DS4 with your PC

D

Deleted member 1353997

1. Awful PC port.
2. Console exclusives (what did you expect?) Unless you're willing to wait 10+ years until you can emulate it properly,
3. Some people want to avoid having to install UPlay or Origin or whatever on their PC.
4. You got the game as a gift on the console and aren't willing to buy it for PC.

D

Deleted member 1353997

i'm more looking forward to the PS4 drivers to use a the controller on my PC then playing PS4 games on it. i already have a 360 controller for PC games but this will be good if i ever need a second controller
You could do this at launch already.

The problem is: The PS4 controller uses the old DirectInput API, while the Xbox controller uses the proprietary XInput API.

Due to controllers not being very popular on PC until the Xbox 360, DirectInput support nearly died out. Some very old games with controller support can be used with a PS4 controller, and pretty much every emulator as well.

With the PS4 controller using DirectInput, a lot of modern multi-platform titles are starting to support it again.

The Witcher 3 supports it fully, including the light bar (not sure about the touch panel or motion controls, though). At first, it only showed Xbox One button icons, which was confusing. Now it shows the PS4 buttons instead, where appropriate.

Fallout 4 does as well, though support was very buggy at launch. I haven't played it much with a PS4 controller for a long time.
Fallout 4 bugs included: "Press X" could mean either "Press cross" or "press square", depending on whether "X" was a Xbox button, or a PS4 one. Building settlements with a PS4 controller was a mess, due to a relevant button not being detected properly.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is: there is no need for drivers, thus Sony probably never will provide them.

Adilaris

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015

Also, there are games that are exclusive to the console that you cannot play on pc without emulation. This solves that problem, and I imagine it would also allow for local video capture without needing a capture card; like shadowplay if you use a gtx card.

darth_adversor

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
@targetdrone: I prefer gaming on the PC and try to do so whenever possible, but I also have a PS4 for exclusives and/or bad PC ports. My TV is usually occupado by my three children, however, so I'm excited to be able to stream The Last of Us or Arkham Knight to my PC.

I'm extremely disappointed that Windows 7 isn't being supported, however. My preferred streaming client is my laptop, which is about 6 years old. It's still plenty powerful, but doesn't have Windows 10 driver support. :-/

Scrotus

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Downloaded and installed setup with no problems or issues. Great grandson playing a game on PS3 and television and I'm able to start PS4, control it and play a game on my Windows 10 computer. So far everything is working as advertised.

Scrotus

Reputable
Dec 4, 2015
Downloaded and installed setup with no problems or issues. Great grandson playing a game on PS3 and television and I'm able to start PS4, control it and play a game on my Windows 10 computer. So far everything is working as advertised.

well it seems the PS4 controller doesn't work on its own anyway it does detects it as a wireless controller in windows when you plug it in but the controller will not activate until you launch the remote app . so i can see someone modifying the driver down the road to make it work without the app

Orions_1

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

Your PS4 controller must be plugged into your PC for remote play. At least that's how it worked for me. It's dumb I know.

yes i know the PS4 controller has to be plugged in for remote play i was just pointing out that the controller is only able to be used for PS4 remote play and cannot be used as controller to used for PC games

Orions_1

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016

I know it's possible though

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/how-to-connect-a-ps4-controller-to-pc/

which they already mentioned in the article:ange:

stingray71

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
My son has a laptop connected to his flat panel TV in his room. The PS4 is in our living room. He can now stream to his room without taking the bigscreen.

I'm excited to hear this.

Doing this with the Xbox and my kids, works flawlessly. Have a PS4 as well, glad to it coming to the PS4. Hope they come out with a wireless dongle for their controller like the Xbox. I imagine a day you can stream to any Smart TV without a PC.

ummduh

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
This sounds pretty cool to me. Using the main TV for gaming sucks sometimes, the wife generally has homework and requires a desklamp that glares off the TV something fierce.. And moving things around isn't an optoin.

I wonder what kind of graphics the PC requires? I could look it up but I'm being pretty lazy right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.