[SOLVED] PS4 through WIFI extender

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I know it's not my NBN as every other device is working flawlessly at full speed. My PS4 however, is very slow with downloads. Even a 1 min trailer on the store pages keep freezing every 5 seconds and downloading games takes even longer. Last night it took over 30 hours for a 1 GB title. According to the network test the download speed is between 2.3 to 8.9 Mbps.

As I have no means on psychically connecting the console directly to the router, I have gotten a WIFI range extender and used the LAN cable directly to it.
Now the extender lights shows that it has full reception but for some reason the PS4 doesn't seem to recognize that it is connected through a cable and fails to connect.
Regardless if I do manually or automatic.
I have no idea as to why it can't recognize that it's connection through a cable.

Solution
I would get a powerline AV2-1000 or better wireless extender set and be done with it. That old N300 shows a good signal, but that doesn't really tell you anything other than its radio works. Gaming is the most demanding use for wireless and a good PL adapter will speed things up and greatly reduce latency compared to a standard extender. THIS or THIS would work great.

RealBeast

Titan
I know it's not my NBN as every other device is working flawlessly at full speed. My PS4 however, is very slow with downloads. Even a 1 min trailer on the store pages keep freezing every 5 seconds and downloading games takes even longer. Last night it took over 30 hours for a 1 GB title. According to the network test the download speed is between 2.3 to 8.9 Mbps.

As I have no means on psychically connecting the console directly to the router, I have gotten a WIFI range extender and used the LAN cable directly to it.
Now the extender lights shows that it has full reception but for some reason the PS4 doesn't seem to recognize that it is connected through a cable and fails to connect.
Regardless if I do manually or automatic.
I have no idea as to why it can't recognize that it's connection through a cable.
What model extender? If you are using powerline they may need to be reset.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
What model extender? If you are using powerline they may need to be reset.
It's a N300 WIFI range extender from Wavlink and it's not using the powerline. its a single piece that simple extends the WIFI in areas where the signal is weak. But, the signal is not weak in the area, since all I want is a faster connection for the console. Just can't comprehend why the PS4 can't recognize it.

RealBeast

Titan
It's a N300 WIFI range extender from Wavlink and it's not using the powerline. its a single piece that simple extends the WIFI in areas where the signal is weak. But, the signal is not weak in the area, since all I want is a faster connection for the console. Just can't comprehend why the PS4 can't recognize it.
I recall that there are (perhaps were) some issues with WPA/WPA2 and TKIP v. AES. If you can, try turning off the extender and PS4 wireless security as a test to see if it will connect, and then you can figure out what combination works between the two.

As odd as it sounds, devices that only use specific security algorithms will often not work with other devices that use a different set.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I recall that there are (perhaps were) some issues with WPA/WPA2 and TKIP v. AES. If you can, try turning off the extender and PS4 wireless security as a test to see if it will connect, and then you can figure out what combination works between the two.

As odd as it sounds, devices that only use specific security algorithms will often not work with other devices that use a different set.

Usually with devices you connect directly by cable, should work flawlessly. Unfortunately the introductions have no hints either as they all talk about tabs and computers and where to set it all up.
I haven't tried your options yet but I was thinking on trying it out directly on the modem and see if the console works on it. If not, than there is something wrong with the PS4 or a setting I do not know how to set it up or change it.

I like to know why the PS4 has such terrible WIFI.

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
If you attach your PS4 with a cable you can either allow DHCP or manually set it up as a static device outside of the router DHCP range. Good luck.
So, I have connected my console directly to the modem and without hassle, it accepted it. Why the WIFI extender wont work is beyond me. It clearly receives the signal so why can't the PS4 receive it?

RealBeast

Titan
I would get a powerline AV2-1000 or better wireless extender set and be done with it. That old N300 shows a good signal, but that doesn't really tell you anything other than its radio works. Gaming is the most demanding use for wireless and a good PL adapter will speed things up and greatly reduce latency compared to a standard extender. THIS or THIS would work great.

Solution

Metalrocks

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2014
I'm aware the item I have is not strong, but it was to get a bit more speed than what's built in the PS4. Because all the other items like phones and laptops, even my desktop that runs through a WIFI USB stick, is faster than the console. I don't do any online gaming on the console, its just the downloads that take forever.
Will get it eventually. Since we have this little pandemic going around, practically every store here is sold out on them.

Thanks anyway for the help and suggestions.

TRENDING THREADS