Question PS5 controller is being detected as xbox controller

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
Hi, I normally would use Steam for the PS5 controller software but I am trying to play battlefield 2042 and adding it as a none steam game does nothing.

I used to be able to just link it and turn on 2042 and it was automatically detected as a ps5 controller and I would even get all the playstation button prompts, now it just shows xbox buttons which all are wrong.

I tried DS4, and it works other than ADS (Aiming down sites) it turns into super slow motion, its a nightmare.

I tried reinstalling ALL software associated with this, I cleaned out the cache, I reset the controllers, I repaired them, and its constant problems.

Does anyone have any idea what to do? Or should I just say screw it and get an Xbox controller and be done with the constant problems?

Lutfij

Titan
I used to be able to just link it and turn on 2042 and it was automatically detected as a ps5 controller and I would even get all the playstation button prompts
How long ago was this?

As it stands Microsoft and Sony have been at odds with the way things worked, even with their exclusive titles. Have you tried uninstalling the device from Device Manager? A similar issue was seen on PS3 and PS4 controllers on Windows PC's.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I haven't messed with the PS controllers in some time. I prefer them, but playing nice with PC continued time after time to be fraught with various issues. I think the program I used most with best result was called SCD Toolkit, or similar (it won't come to me right now) but time and time again it would break, cause AV notifications and so forth. I swapped to the X Box One controller and haven't looked back.
I would warn that with the newest of the X Box controllers you need to buy a Bluetooth dongle to use specifically with those as they won't play nice trying to pair to mobo wireless. The "original" older controllers work fine.

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
I used to be able to just link it and turn on 2042 and it was automatically detected as a ps5 controller and I would even get all the playstation button prompts
How long ago was this?

As it stands Microsoft and Sony have been at odds with the way things worked, even with their exclusive titles. Have you tried uninstalling the device from Device Manager? A similar issue was seen on PS3 and PS4 controllers on Windows PC's.
I tried that, this didn't work. Thing that is strange is it worked without any problems before I reinstalled windows 11. I would simply pair it, load up battlefield and it gave me PlayStation 5 prompts and everything. Now it thinks its an Xbox controller I tried adding battlefield as a non steam game then it doesn't detect the controller at all. DS4 does work but then in battlefield the aiming down sites is all super slow motion and messed up. I played 72 hours of battlefield with PlayStation buttons ect on windows 11, trying to go to an Xbox controller feels wrong in my hands, I don't like the sensitivity of the joysticks, the Sony simply feels more quality. All the youtube guides say just use DS4 or add it as a non steam game, I thought maybe battlefield is detecting more than one device when its added as a non steam game, so I got hidhid and hid all devices other than the controller, still the game did not detect it.

amatthews1558

Commendable
Oct 1, 2020
UPDATE I figured out how to fix this using DS4. Needed HIdHide configuration, hid the ps5 controller and only xbox shows up now, aiming down sites is back to a nice fast speed. Idk how the heck I got the ps5 controller to work without ds4 before but it won't now.