Question PS5 Equivalent GPU?

Here comes that time again, people think pc will die due to playstation 5 etc. It never will, however its good to know if ps5 is better than my pc or not and all that. I currently have an RTX2060, and Im wondering if PS5 could beat the performance. I think the ps5 will be around a Vega56/64 , simply because they compare the teraflops, but there's factors such as wattage, speeds, the RTX2060 consumes more watts than the ps4 has, therefore I think the ps5 will just abouts be an RTX2060, due to needing a power limit. The reason I am slightly worried, is because I bought an RTX2060, and one of the reasons I bought it is to outperform consoles so that they become obsolete, and I saved up very long for my pc just to be replaced by a better option and a lot of my friends will start to make fun of my computer because I used to say that its better than console and then they'll start bragging about it. Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Even if you got a more powerful GPU than the PS5, you completely ruling out the fact that the games developers for games meant for the PS5 platform can optimize them to run better than it would on a PC. An example of game dev work would be how Crysis(1) was so horribly coded that anything you throw at it hardware wise will still gobble it whole, why? The game wasn't written properly. If the game dev's rewrote the games code, you'd see it run much better on power efficient hardware.

Also, considering that this is a topic that can incite flame wars, this thread will be watched over. Word of advice, bragging about something you have will always last 5 minutes in anyone's lifetime once something new or better comes out or what you have ages. That kind of lifestyle isn't healthy either.

Reactions: Vyrvelata

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
The 5700XT or a RTX 2080 is more or less will be on Par or even beat the PS5 GPU,

And am sure the upcoming RTX 3000 series will beat the PS5 gpu and then the PS5 GPU will become obsolete,

So for me they are just numbers if you want 120hz refresh with 4K then with highest settings then you might need to worry,

But in my case i have an AOC 1080p 75hz gaming monitor, Am pretty happy with my GTX 1650 SUPER,

Which gives me 100FPS in high settings in my APEX Legends,

And am least bothered about RAY Tracing

Here comes that time again, people think pc will die due to playstation 5 etc. It never will, however its good to know if ps5 is better than my pc or not and all that. I currently have an RTX2060, and Im wondering if PS5 could beat the performance. I think the ps5 will be around a Vega56/64 , simply because they compare the teraflops, but there's factors such as wattage, the RTX2060 consumes more watts than the ps4 has, therefore I think the ps5 will just abouts be an RTX2060, the reason I am slightly worried, is because I bought an RTX2060, and one of the reasons I bought it is to outperform consoles so that they become obsolete, and I saved up very long for my pc just to be replaced by a better option and a lot of my friends will start to make fun of my computer because I used to say that its better than console and then they'll start bragging about it. Thanks in Advance!

PS5 Graphics maybe even better than RTX2060... (it's too early to know for sure)...
Since it'set to be 4K 60 fps capable....it needs really good GPU.

The problem is not going to be only the VideoCard...
The new SSD (or M.2) inside it it's going to be something really new and different... and it's going to be used in different way especially in PS5 exclusives....
It's going to be used for caching and so on....There is no analog in PC when it comes to their new PS5 SSD....
I'm not talking about
  • Sequential Read Speed

• Sequential Write Speed
Which everyone is paying so much attention....
I'm talking every other aspect the modern SSD are behind...

Also it will have more Core and Threads compared to last gen..... so future games will be properly optimized for 8 cores at minimum (recommended specs) i think.....
Also there is the thing with proper optimization only for set hardware that wont be changed for years to come.....

The 5700XT or a RTX 2080 is more or less will be on Par or even beat the PS5 GPU,

And am sure the upcoming RTX 3000 series will beat the PS5 gpu and then the PS5 GPU will become obsolete,

So for me they are just numbers if you want 120hz refresh with 4K then with highest settings then you might need to worry,

But in my case i have an AOC 1080p 75hz gaming monitor, Am pretty happy with my GTX 1650 SUPER,

Which gives me 100FPS in high settings in my APEX Legends,

And am least bothered about RAY Tracing

I doubt the PS5 could handle ray tracing regardless like the RTX cards do, I doubt anyone would use rt anyways. Plus 120fps will be achievable on the ps5, however most games will still run at capped 60 since a lot of those games can't achieve 120

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
Here comes that time again, people think pc will die due to playstation 5 etc. It never will, however its good to know if ps5 is better than my pc or not and all that. I currently have an RTX2060, and Im wondering if PS5 could beat the performance. I think the ps5 will be around a Vega56/64 , simply because they compare the teraflops, but there's factors such as wattage, speeds, the RTX2060 consumes more watts than the ps4 has, therefore I think the ps5 will just abouts be an RTX2060, due to needing a power limit. The reason I am slightly worried, is because I bought an RTX2060, and one of the reasons I bought it is to outperform consoles so that they become obsolete, and I saved up very long for my pc just to be replaced by a better option and a lot of my friends will start to make fun of my computer because I used to say that its better than console and then they'll start bragging about it. Thanks in Advance!

So its always a question of What display you have? and What you want?

Am happy with 1650 Super as its meant for 1080P and i consider RTX 2060 what you have is a overkill for my 75HZ 1080p display.

So its upto your budget and requirement,

An RTX 2080 is an overkill for my display imo.

and an PS5 full potential will not be realized in my 720p HD ready VU tv.

So stop worrying and enjoy your RTX 2060

PS5 Graphics maybe even better than RTX2060... (it's too early to know for sure)...
Since it'set to be 4K 60 fps capable....it needs really good GPU.

The problem is not going to be only the VideoCard...
The new SSD (or M.2) inside it it's going to be something really new and different... and it's going to be used in different way especially in PS5 exclusives....
It's going to be used for caching and so on....There is no analog in PC when it comes to their new PS5 SSD....
I'm not talking about
  • Sequential Read Speed

• Sequential Write Speed
Which everyone is paying so much attention....
I'm talking every other aspect the modern SSD are behind...

Also it will have more Core and Threads compared to last gen..... so future games will be properly optimized for 8 cores at minimum (recommended specs) i think.....
Also there is the thing with proper optimization only for set hardware that wont be changed for years to come.....

Even if the SSD could be way more advanced than a modern day SSD, does it matter regardless since the only advantage is sequential speeds, however the primary reason I bought an ssd was to improve loading times, which will probably be the same on the ps5 as even a strong nvme won't improve anything on a pc, except sequential speeds.

So its always a question of What display you have? and What you want?

Am happy with 1650 Super as its meant for 1080P and i consider RTX 2060 what you have is a overkill for my 75HZ 1080p display.

So its upto your budget and requirement,

An RTX 2080 is an overkill for my display imo.

and an PS5 full potential will not be realized in my 720p HD ready VU tv.

So stop worrying and enjoy your RTX 2060

Yeah thanks, I don't mind about it being way more powerful enough, I rock a 768p 60hz display which im going to upgrade to G-sync 1080p one because I don't like 144hz, and I play demanding games. The only reason I was worried was due to the rant of people rambling on about the Playstation 5 killing pc and it being the true winner etc etc.

Reactions: coolraveen
It difficult to compare and will use the current One X to explain my thinking. So at 1080p the same games on my laptop (RTX2060) look much better even with the laptop connected to a 55” TV. All games can be played at 60fps or higher on the laptop. However if I try 4K the One X takes the lead as the 2060 just can’t handle 4K. Ok so the One X isn’t truly 4K and uses up scaling, lower texture resolutions and other methods to achieve a 4K image. However the One X does a very good job at 4K even if not true 4K by applying these techniques that are not available for pc. To play these games at true 4K 60fps and look better than the One X takes my desktop with an RTX2080 Super.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
It difficult to compare and will use the current One X to explain my thinking. So at 1080p the same games on my laptop (RTX2060) look much better even with the laptop connected to a 55” TV. All games can be played at 60fps or higher on the laptop. However if I try 4K the One X takes the lead as the 2060 just can’t handle 4K. Ok so the One X isn’t truly 4K and uses up scaling, lower texture resolutions and other methods to achieve a 4K image. However the One X does a very good job at 4K even if not true 4K by applying these techniques that are not available for pc. To play these games at true 4K 60fps and look better than the One X takes my desktop with an RTX2080 Super.

Thats what i said for my 1080p 75hz display my 1650 Super in enough, and moreover the most PC gamer does not game more than 27 inches display, so if your priority is 4K display 120HZ with ray tracing means RTX 2080 is worth it, but like i said for me its not worth it even RTX2060 is an over kill for my display.

My display : AOC g2590vxq

Coming to PS5 4K the people who are going to use are the ones who would like to use big TVS with big resolution, and sit in their living room and play,

Most PC gamers or a mainstream gamers still use a 1080p display as the 1440p with 120 - 240 HZ display are expensive , your RTX 2080 will be need for 1440p with min 120hz display.

The main target of PS5 is 4K. but PC is customizable thats why PC wins anyday.

I will Buy RTX 3080 if i upgrade my Display to 1440p or 4K

Thats what i said for my 1080p 75hz display my 1650 Super in enough, and moreover the most PC gamer does not game more than 27 inches display, so if your priority is 4K display 120HZ with ray tracing means RTX 2080 is worth it, but like i said for me its not worth it even RTX2060 is an over kill for my display.

My display : AOC g2590vxq

Coming to PS5 4K the people who are going to use are the ones who would like to use big TVS with big resolution, and sit in their living room and play,

Most PC gamers or a mainstream gamers still use a 1080p display as the 1440p with 120 - 240 HZ display are expensive , your RTX 2080 will be need for 1440p with min 120hz display.

The main target of PS5 is 4K. but PC is customizable thats why PC wins anyday.

I will Buy RTX 3080 if i upgrade my Display to 1440p or 4K
I think you missed my point, I’m aware of everything you wrote as I game on my desktop at 1440p 144Hz. However I will say 4K 120Hz is far beyond a 2080 Super or 2080Ti unless you significantly reduce settings, it’s beyond current single gpu setups.

My point was this comparison of console vs pc is not easy and depends exactly what you want. At 1080p the RTX2060 wins easily, but at 4K the One X wins easily although not true 4K its better than what the 2060 can achieve. To outperform a One X even at 60fps I have use my 2080 Super. The One X’s ability to upscale to 4K is impressive for the hardware and is achieved by methods not available to PC so is difficult to compare. The way to beat the One X at 4K 60fps is by throwing huge gpu power at it but it does achieve a better true 4K image.

Reactions: coolraveen

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I think you missed my point, I’m aware of everything you wrote as I game on my desktop at 1440p 144Hz. However I will say 4K 120Hz is far beyond a 2080 Super or 2080Ti unless you significantly reduce settings, it’s beyond current single gpu setups.

My point was this comparison of console vs pc is not easy and depends exactly what you want. At 1080p the RTX2060 wins easily, but at 4K the One X wins easily although not true 4K its better than what the 2060 can achieve. To outperform a One X even at 60fps I have use my 2080 Super. The One X’s ability to upscale to 4K is impressive for the hardware and is achieved by methods not available to PC so is difficult to compare. The way to beat the One X at 4K 60fps is by throwing huge gpu power at it but it does achieve a better true 4K image.

Yes understood :)

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
Also, considering that this is a topic that can incite flame wars, this thread will be watched over. Word of advice, bragging about something you have will always last 5 minutes in anyone's lifetime once something new or better comes out or what you have ages. That kind of lifestyle isn't healthy either.

Words to live by. Still, comparison threads like this always makes me a bit dead inside as it shows how far technology has marched forward, then the realization on how my machine is getting older by the standards as times go by.
It's still interesting to watch how it goes though..

Reactions: Lutfij

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
The PS5 sharing the GDDR6 memory with the GPU is why the PC will probably look and play better. But I doubt a PC for the same price as the PS5 would be able to compete.
Bro it's all about the resolution you want to play, and PS4 or even ps5 are always good on paper but they flounder in real usage, ps5 might be better than PS4 but a pc will always better it, the upcoming 3080 will gonna trash the ps5, the marketing term for ps5 is 4k gaming, yes ps5 will have a rtx 2070 type gpu to run games at 4k but fps will be locked at 30/60, so ps5 gaming is all about how the game looks not how fast the game runs, and for me for my 1080p 75hz gaming monitor 1650 super does the job, and for me even rtx 2060 is a overkill, so we can't compare pc and ps5 just like that, most people can't afford a 4k tv with a high refresh rate even now, so the whole point of 4k ps5 is misleading.

Oct 9, 2020
My son's gaming PC around 4 years old these specs XFX Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 R9-390P-8256 8GB and Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz and Physical memory: 8 GiB
He bought FIFA 21 and said it did not look good, i am guess they are coding the game to meet the PS5 and new xbox specs
Please device on how to fit it without breaking the bank
I will add 8G of ram to go to 16G or do you guys think i need 32G
and what video card should i buy? would this work? EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC Ultra GAMING
thanks for you advice

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
My son's gaming PC around 4 years old these specs XFX Radeon R9 390 DirectX 12 R9-390P-8256 8GB and Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz and Physical memory: 8 GiB
He bought FIFA 21 and said it did not look good, i am guess they are coding the game to meet the PS5 and new xbox specs
Please device on how to fit it without breaking the bank
I will add 8G of ram to go to 16G or do you guys think i need 32G
and what video card should i buy? would this work? EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SC Ultra GAMING
thanks for you advice
Bro The RTX 2080ti will give u a bottle neck of 12 - 15 percent, so in theory you can go with RTX 2060 where the bottleneck is 7- 8 percent, so yes u can pair an i7 7700k with an 2060, I suggest u to upgrade ur cpu in future, but since it's intel then you will need to change your motherboard also for future cpu upgrade. So it's going to be a costly affair because an average cpu life is 4 years for being relevant. If u have budget then I suggest u upgrade cpu and mobo in 1.5 years down the line

Oct 9, 2020
Bro The RTX 2080ti will give u a bottle neck of 12 - 15 percent, so in theory you can go with RTX 2060 where the bottleneck is 7- 8 percent, so yes u can pair an i7 7700k with an 2060, I suggest u to upgrade ur cpu in future, but since it's intel then you will need to change your motherboard also for future cpu upgrade. So it's going to be a costly affair because an average cpu life is 4 years for being relevant. If u have budget then I suggest u upgrade cpu and mobo in 1.5 years down the line
thanks for the reply
is it better to switch to AMD for next CPU, i keep reading good reviews for gaming on their new CPUs?

I've been a PC gamer since 2010 and always had a console at the same time. Those exclusives are worth it IMO, bloodborne, god of war, whatever rockstar releases a year early-
Now it's demon's souls. Sure wish they actually had anything I wanna buy in stock though.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
thanks for the reply
is it better to switch to AMD for next CPU, i keep reading good reviews for gaming on their new CPUs?
Yes bro I myself use an Ryzen 5 3600, paired with a GTX 1650 Super for a 75hz 1080p monitor, Due to the upcoming 5000 series, the price of Ryzen 7 3700x will fall, if you buy a X570 motherboard it will support the upcoming 5000 series processors. Remember the upcoming 5000 series processors are the last of the current AM4 socket. I advice you to go for the upcoming Ryzen 7 5700X if budget is there or buy the Ryzen 7 3700X.

coolraveen

Commendable
May 26, 2020
I've been a PC gamer since 2010 and always had a console at the same time. Those exclusives are worth it IMO, bloodborne, god of war, whatever rockstar releases a year early-
Now it's demon's souls. Sure wish they actually had anything I wanna buy in stock though.
Yes bro the exclusives are worth it and I came from PS4 to PC gaming myself, the thing is the game titles for the PS their price does not fall like how it does for the PC for eg: ubisoft during summer sale gave assassins creed origins and odessey for 7 and 12 USD, likewise epic games gave away gta5 for free. And we have to pay for online multiplayer. There is a way sony gets money from people through software sales to recover the hardware loss

Yes bro the exclusives are worth it and I came from PS4 to PC gaming myself, the thing is the game titles for the PS their price does not fall like how it does for the PC for eg: ubisoft during summer sale gave assassins creed origins and odessey for 7 and 12 USD, likewise epic games gave away gta5 for free. And we have to pay for online multiplayer. There is a way sony gets money from people through software sales to recover the hardware loss
Yeah, that's why I play PC in general. But until sony has the same "every xbox exclusive will come to PC", I'll keep buying playstations!

Oct 9, 2020
Yes bro I myself use an Ryzen 5 3600, paired with a GTX 1650 Super for a 75hz 1080p monitor, Due to the upcoming 5000 series, the price of Ryzen 7 3700x will fall, if you buy a X570 motherboard it will support the upcoming 5000 series processors. Remember the upcoming 5000 series processors are the last of the current AM4 socket. I advice you to go for the upcoming Ryzen 7 5700X if budget is there or buy the Ryzen 7 3700X.
thanks again