News PS5 Price Predicted to Go up to $549 With Limited Launch

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
To be honest, the high price is not unexpected since its using the more cutting edge technology even at this point in time. Things like RDNA2 is not even open to public sale, and the consoles are the first to get it. Also the use of customized NVME SSDs will also boost the prices over previous gen models all using slow mechanical drives. Yet despite the rumored prices, it is still decent as compared to a laptop/ mini desktop with somewhat similar specs.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
With the high performance of the GPU, at launch it'll be far better value for money than any mini-desktop at a similar price.

I'm a PC gamer myself, but I'm always envious of the performance per dollar a console can provide.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
To be honest, the high price is not unexpected since its using the more cutting edge technology even at this point in time. Things like RDNA2 is not even open to public sale, and the consoles are the first to get it. Also the use of customized NVME SSDs will also boost the prices over previous gen models all using slow mechanical drives. Yet despite the rumored prices, it is still decent as compared to a laptop/ mini desktop with somewhat similar specs.
RDNA is just a different way of looking at data on a video card - not like it's any different at all from any other piece of silicon. The custom form factor SSDs are ridiculous... Will end up with both of them, but not at launch.

Bought the current gen at launch, had maybe 20 hours on them, gave to bro in law - bought the refreshed models - have maybe 20 hours on them - already worn out a Nintendo Switch in the meantime. Will wait for about a year (will take that long before you see games with significant improvements over current games)... and then buy both.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
With the high performance of the GPU, at launch it'll be far better value for money than any mini-desktop at a similar price.

I'm a PC gamer myself, but I'm always envious of the performance per dollar a console can provide.
Absolute performance is all that matters - "Yeah this card sucks, but it was really really cheap".

$550 wouldn't actually be all that high compared to the PS3. The PS3 launched for $600 for the 60GB model, and $500 for the cut-down 20GB model (which lacked wi-fi and HDMI), and that was back in 2006. Adjusted for inflation, those would be around $770 and $640 in today's currency. Of course, that console didn't sell particularly well until later in its product cycle either, after the price had dropped substantially, giving the less expensive (and generally better performing) XBox 360 the chance to grab a large portion of the console market that generation.