News PS5 Pro confirmed — New Playstation will cost $699.99 on November 5 with larger GPU and PSSR Upscaling

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
That's a tough sell unless you want a PS5 and don't have one already. So $200 more and it's questionable if developers are going to fully take advantage of the souped up specs. Are they going to re-optimize their previously games for the PS5, after the entire industry is bleeding money and laying off employees and shuttering game studios?

As i've said countless times, I purchased a PS4 Pro and few games took advantage of Boost Mode. I regretted that purchase.

We are also 4 years in the current gen cycle and something tells me (a hunch) that Microsoft may leapfrog Sony's PS6 earlier than expected which going on the current trend, they may do it in another 2 years instead of three yrs.

That would cause Sony to respond because most games today are multi-platform.

Elusive Ruse

Respectable
Nov 17, 2022
The footage from PS5 Pro was impressive and that's only existing games being optimised for it, games built with the Pro specs will look even better I bet, I'm also glad Sony isn't relying on FSR anymore and PSSR should rival XeSS and might even come close to DLSS if the footage from Ratchet's PSSR was any indication.
Lack of an optical drive and a steep markup is disappointing though, I will be sticking with my PS5.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
That does feel like a steep hike just to get performance and fidelity at the same time. I'm also not convinced that most existing games will have a bunch of work done to allow them to fully utilize the hardware updates, even with the CPU architecture portion remaining constant. That's rather funny to me as the GPU portion changing would require more changes from devs than the CPU would, with x86 being x86 and newer models typically having perfect backward-compatibility, at least in the PC world anyways (this shows me that consoles are still over-limited in there forward-thinking and ability to somewhat easily adapt to hardware changes).

Anyways, PS5 is still basically priced at pre-inflation levels while PS5 Pro obviously has all of the post-inflation pricing built in. Lol, there's also an automatic upcharge when you can put an AI sticker on the product. Considering all this, I reckon that means $100 comes from the AI sticker and post-inflation status and the other $100 is the hardware upgrade.

Not saying I agree with it but that's Sony's thinking, if you ask me.

Reactions: iLoveThe80s

Giroro

Splendid
That's a tough sell unless you want a PS5 and don't have one already. So $200 more and it's questionable if developers are going to fully take advantage of the souped up specs. Are they going to re-optimize their previously games for the PS5, after the entire industry is bleeding money and laying off employees and shuttering game studios?

As i've said countless times, I purchased a PS4 Pro and few games took advantage of Boost Mode. I regretted that purchase.

We are also 4 years in the current gen cycle and something tells me (a hunch) that Microsoft may leapfrog Sony's PS6 earlier than expected which going on the current trend, they may do it in another 2 years instead of three yrs.

That would cause Sony to respond because most games today are multi-platform.

It's more than $200 more. You have to compare the price of the pro to the digital-only model, not the real PS5.

purposelycryptic

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
$699.99 plus whatever they are going to charge for the optical drive add-on, probably add $80-$100 on top (I would never buy this if I couldn't even play all my games on it)?

All to play games that will still use the original PS5 as their development target, in a point in its life cycle where they are just now slowly reducing the number of PS4/5 cross-releases, upscaled and at a steady frame rate?

Just... No.