News PS5 Revision Has Smaller Heatsink and Fan, Possibly Higher Temps

D

Deleted member 1560910

Its not a big deal if the temp increase isnt going to have issues on performance and longevity. Im sure the designers know what there doing at this stage and we have no idea . The thing has liquid metal so temps should be good off the jump

Anth

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
In essence, if you want a PS5, you need to buy an extended warranty with it or risk an expensive paperweight in 3 years time.

artk2219

Distinguished
Its not a big deal if the temp increase isnt going to have issues on performance and longevity. Im sure the designers know what there doing at this stage and we have no idea . The thing has liquid metal so temps should be good off the jump
The owners of many dead PS3's and RROD Xbox 360's may have a different opinion, it took more than one revision to get those sorted out. Many times engineering gives way to marketing, with unfortunate consequences for the consumer.

Reactions: gg83

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
The ps3 had problems with cooling too. The thermal paste was junk or something like that. I wonder if Sony is getting higher "bined" chips with better thermal performance?
What hurt the launch PS3 and I still have one that I haven't turned on since 2008 so NO clue if it still works is the YLOD problem (yellow light of death). That's where the original PS3 would not startup and flash a constant yellow light. Some of the early temporary fixes was to put smother it in a blanket while running to overheat the main board and it would work for awhile. The other fix was to re-ball the main system board. But in reading more about this problem it seems someone figured out what was the real cause of the problem. It turned out to be 4 NEC/TOKIN Capacitors that failed on the system board. He replaced the 4 capacitors and the PS3 worked. Subsequently he went on a mission to buy broken PS3's with the YLOD and each time he replaced the 4 capacitors, the system worked.

I checked my PS5 box and it appears I have the launch PS5 CFI-1015A

Reactions: gg83
D

Deleted member 1560910

What hurt the launch PS3 and I still have one that I haven't turned on since 2008 so NO clue if it still works is the YLOD problem (yellow light of death). That's where the original PS3 would not startup and flash a constant yellow light. Some of the early temporary fixes was to put smother it in a blanket while running to overheat the main board and it would work for awhile. The other fix was to re-ball the main system board. But in reading more about this problem it seems someone figured out what was the real cause of the problem. It turned out to be 4 capacitors that failed on the system board. He replaced the 4 capacitors and the PS3 worked. Subsequently he went on a mission to buy broken PS3's with the YLOD and each time he replaced the 4 capacitors, the system worked.

I checked my PS5 box and it appears I have the launch PS5 CFI-1015A
This was because people have no clu how to care for thigns and put there console in places where no are can get too. Plus some countries never heard of air conditioning systems.

I mean I was waiting for a new version of a ps5 but seems I'll be waiting for a ps5 pro lol
Actually, if that doesn't come out before elden ring, I won't need one since all I'd wanna play is demon's souls.

vern72

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2012
Sony hasn't turned a profit on PS5 until now? Really? Why on Earth would they cut the price so low on something that would sell like hotcakes?

Kahless01

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2009
They cut on the very thing that desperately needed to be improved. Genius.
they didnt cut anything. austin evans is a moron who doesnt understand how heatsinks work and other morons are reposting his bs without looking into it themselves. wait until gamers nexus does real testing. he didnt even measure in the same spot both times in his video. theres a reason hes getting ripped apart in the comments and everywhere else its posted.

Sony hasn't turned a profit on PS5 until now? Really? Why on Earth would they cut the price so low on something that would sell like hotcakes?
It’s not a new thing with consoles for them to be sold at a loss. They can make their money back on accessories, games and subscriptions. The key is getting a good market share and people bought into the platform. It’s actually a little surprising Sony want the PS5 console into profit so soon, potentially at the cost of quality.

Simon_78

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2016

Gamers Nexus found that some ram chips were already in the red zone ( while the others were fine ) with the previous better heatsink... So it'll definitely have an impact on longevity and also maybe performance if throttling occurs. Unless they fixed that ram chips overheat issue, which would need to be tested.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Gamers Nexus found that some ram chips were already in the red zone ( while the others were fine ) with the previous better heatsink... So it'll definitely have an impact on longevity and also maybe performance if throttling occurs. Unless they fixed that ram chips overheat issue, which would need to be tested.
We dont know if performance was lost or longevity time will tell