News PS5 Specs Revealed: Details from Sony's Architecture Livestream

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
So they're claiming they can package a console that can perform on par with $1500+ gaming PC with PCIe 4.0 & "GDDR6 RAM" as well as a 4K GPU capable of 30fps and market it at <$600?

Heavy X to doubt boys. I will believe it when I see real life performance.

(I know the article doesnt claim 4k @ 30fps but thats the industry claim for next gen consoles and I don't buy it)

Reactions: chill1221
So they're claiming they can package a console that can perform on par with $1500+ gaming PC with PCIe 4.0 & "GDDR6 RAM" as well as a 4K GPU capable of 30fps and market it at <$600?

(I know the article doesnt claim 4k @ 30fps but thats the industry claim for next gen consoles and I don't buy it)

I think the claim is 4K at 60fps, not 30.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Even more ridiculous. They're not packing a 2080Ti equivalent under that hood, I feel like tech companies (all of them, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Sony, M$FT) need to be help accountable for misleading consumers and investors with these kinds of claims.
Idk, a 5700 XT can already get close to 60 fps (or higher) at 4K/high-ish settings in many games. If you were to optimize that to somewhere closer to medium, and throw in some console performance optimization as well, it may be feasible. If the TFLOPS value listed is accurate the PS5 GPU should be on par with a 5700 XT, and that's without possible improvements to FPS/FLOPS from the new RDNA2 architecture.

Although I think there's a good chance there will still be some upscaling involved, in at least some games.

Edit: And upscaling isn't necessarily the dirty word it used to be. I remember seeing a comparison where they looked at something like 80% render scale with Radeon image sharpening on it looked really good, very close to native 4k. And noticeably better than Nvidia's touted DLSS.

Last edited:

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Even more ridiculous. They're not packing a 2080Ti equivalent under that hood, I feel like tech companies (all of them, Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Sony, M$FT) need to be help accountable for misleading consumers and investors with these kinds of claims.
Judging purely from the specs, this GPU could very well be on 2080 levels of performance, which should be enough for 4K60 in a majority of games.

alextheblue

Distinguished
RDNA 2 will get rid of the GCN baggage, so 10 TFLOPs of RDNA 2 actually might be in the ballpark of a 2080 Ti. It also depends heavily on the game engine and overall complexity. I mean, are we talking Overwatch, or are Elder Scrolls VI? Some developers might prefer to add more features and upscale, and others might prefer a native 4K. Some will use dynamic resolution, and some will have more than one option. So the console will be capable of it, but that doesn't mean every game will go that route.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Yeah, if I had to guess, there's going to be a fair amount of upscaling and other shortcuts involved with achieving "4K" at 60fps. That's the way it has always been with every console. You might see some of the less demanding games run at a console's native resolution, but most of the graphically demanding titles will be running at something less than that, especially later in the cycle when developers are trying to push more demanding visuals on aging hardware.

That's not necessarily a bad thing though, given the high pixel counts of modern displays. Most people are going to struggle to notice a difference between 4K and something like 1440p at typical viewing distances while playing a game, so it makes more sense to utilize a GPU's capabilities for things like improved geometry detail and lighting effects rather than just making things a little sharper.

Of course, most other 4K content is arguably not at "native 4K" either. Streaming services like Netflix, Youtube and so on all use heavy compression on their streams, to the point where 4K video looks more like 1440p, and 1080p video looks like 720p.

For TV speakers and stereo speakers, Sony is still working on a stereo surround spot based on sitting in a sweet spot on the TV.
It must be difficult to properly view the television while sitting on it though. : 3

Reactions: TJ Hooker

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
Maybe next generation MS and Sony will just work together on one console instead of producing two similar machines and splitting the market.

shmmy

Prominent
Feb 7, 2019

Just because you dont understand it does not make it wrong.
My XBOX already does 4K at 30FPS and it looks amazing.

At least start with knowing what your talking about before you say crazy things.....

D

Deleted member 14196

Hey if any of this stuff offends you, feel free not to read it. You can choose not believe it all you want but bad mouthing it in the forums before even knowing what you’re talking about is very foolish. From your comments I can see you know nothing of what you’re talking about

From what I can ascertain you’ve been banned before hence to your throwaway account

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Although I think there's a good chance there will still be some upscaling involved, in at least some games.

Neither Microsoft or Sony has made secret of the fact that the next-gen consoles will lean heavily on variable-rate shading (VRS). Basically, only parts of the scene is going to be rendered at native. Other parts are going to be at half or quarter resolution. The whole thing probably then go through some sort of AI-backed filter.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Neither Microsoft or Sony has made secret of the fact that the next-gen consoles will lean heavily on variable-rate shading (VRS). Basically, only parts of the scene is going to be rendered at native. Other parts are going to be at half or quarter resolution. The whole thing probably then go through some sort of AI-backed filter.
Ah yes, I forgot about VRS, in addition to rendering at a lower resolution in general + upscaling.

Reactions: throwawayaccnt

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hey if any of this stuff offends you, feel free not to read it. You can choose not believe it all you want but bad mouthing it in the forums before even knowing what you’re talking about is very foolish. From your comments I can see you know nothing of what you’re talking about

From what I can ascertain you’ve been banned before hence to your throwaway account

Bro I'm just criticizing industry-routine misleading specs and hype for under-delivering products, your response is more offended than anything I've posted.

Judging purely from the specs, this GPU could very well be on 2080 levels of performance, which should be enough for 4K60 in a majority of games.

I'm just questioning their ability to package that along with high-end specs like PCIe4.0, 8-core AMD chips, SSD and be able to price it competitively. Console developers historically sell at a loss, how much of a loss they can afford is really at issue here. I'm not seeing how they can market this for under $600, if they do how can they without gouging consumers elsewhere to make up for the profit hit.

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Idk, a 5700 XT can already get close to 60 fps (or higher) at 4K/high-ish settings in many games. If you were to optimize that to somewhere closer to medium, and throw in some console performance optimization as well, it may be feasible. If the TFLOPS value listed is accurate the PS5 GPU should be on par with a 5700 XT, and that's without possible improvements to FPS/FLOPS from the new RDNA2 architecture.

Edit: And upscaling isn't necessarily the dirty word it used to be. I remember seeing a comparison where they looked at something like 80% render scale with Radeon image sharpening on it looked really good, very close to native 4k. And noticeably better than Nvidia's touted DLSS.
"4k 60fps at medium settings with upscaling" is much more believable

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
I'm just questioning their ability to package that along with high-end specs like PCIe4.0, 8-core AMD chips, SSD and be able to price it competitively. Console developers historically sell at a loss, how much of a loss they can afford is really at issue here. I'm not seeing how they can market this for under $600, if they do how can they without gouging consumers elsewhere to make up for the profit hit.
I agree price could be a different story, and there have been some noises that the PS5 could in fact be quite expensive. On the packaging side, we've already seen how the XBOX Series X is a lot chunkier than previous generations and I don't expect any different from the PS5.