News PS5, Xbox Series X Will Reportedly Be in Best Buy Stores Thursday

You know, it would be great if Best Buy also restricted purchases to once per 30 days like Microcenter. In fact, since they didn't consistently have supply every 30 days, make it long enough to cover the last big in-person sale, like 60 or 90 days. That would help stop the scalpers, which I also personally saw at one of the Nvidia restock Best Buy events.

Reactions: bigdragon

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
My home theater needs a 4K bluray player. I was thinking the PS5 disc version could fill that role. I'd love to play the new Horizon Zero dawn and Ratchet & Clank games too. However, I wasted so much time and trips trying to get an RTX 30-series earlier this year and late last year that I do not have the patience to even try lining up for a PS5 at BestBuy. 50 consoles per store isn't enough. I want a minimum of 300 per store before considering lining up.

You know, it would be great if Best Buy also restricted purchases to once per 30 days like Microcenter. In fact, since they didn't consistently have supply every 30 days, make it long enough to cover the last big in-person sale, like 60 or 90 days. That would help stop the scalpers, which I also personally saw at one of the Nvidia restock Best Buy events.
IIRC they required some identity to be recorded, like your driver's license. Otherwise how do you track who bought stuff?

While I'm sure most people would leave Microcenter alone, I don't think Best Buy, you know a big corporation, would be able to get away with that.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
IIRC they required some identity to be recorded, like your driver's license. Otherwise how do you track who bought stuff?

While I'm sure most people would leave Microcenter alone, I don't think Best Buy, you know a big corporation, would be able to get away with that.
They already do. BestBuy requires photo IDs for returns and certain Magnolia purchases. Given how infrequent the restocks are, I don't think collecting ID would be very effective without a much longer waiting period for a repeat purchase. I definitely welcome ANYTHING that tries to counter scalpers though! ANYTHING. Like come on, a year later and the bots and scalpers are still controlling the market.

Reactions: 2Be_or_Not2Be
My home theater needs a 4K bluray player. I was thinking the PS5 disc version could fill that role. I'd love to play the new Horizon Zero dawn and Ratchet & Clank games too. However, I wasted so much time and trips trying to get an RTX 30-series earlier this year and late last year that I do not have the patience to even try lining up for a PS5 at BestBuy. 50 consoles per store isn't enough. I want a minimum of 300 per store before considering lining up.

Last one I lined up at Best Buy, I found out people (most young adults) had camped out the night before. I got there close to 6am, and I found out I was still #140 in line. I ended up with nothing. Very likely that others jumped in with their "friends" when the actual tickets were being passed out.

However, with these consoles - and the possibility of both PS5s and XSXs being available, I would think they would have over 100 of each. Hopefully even 200+ of each. If a lot show up, then limit it to one item per person.

They already do. BestBuy requires photo IDs for returns and certain Magnolia purchases. Given how infrequent the restocks are, I don't think collecting ID would be very effective without a much longer waiting period for a repeat purchase. I definitely welcome ANYTHING that tries to counter scalpers though! ANYTHING. Like come on, a year later and the bots and scalpers are still controlling the market.

Yeah, you need a waiting period to make it effective. Keep it to 90 days for these consoles (nice for GPUs as well). Lock it down by photo ID and by physical address.

Sep 22, 2021
I don't mean to be a pessimist, but when are these stores going to stop doing these line up early, Black Friday type events at stores for limited quantities? The scalpers keep sending their minions to buy up everything so the rest of us can't pay simple retail pricing. With the world getting crazier by the minute, it's only going to take a scuffle in line for a stupid gaming console to draw the guns and kill somebody over who gets it first. Only then will BestBuy and other retailers realize that this method of distributing goods is not the way to go. Not saying I have the solution to getting retail items to consumers at normal prices, but there has got to be a better way for people who actually want the thing to buy it without paying a 60% markup or standing in line for hours. I have always hated scalpers for concerts and sporting events and now they have turned to buying up hot retail items to turn a profit.