PSA: Mainstream Support for Windows Vista Ends Today

Status
Not open for further replies.

scythe944

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]About time. I'm sure the sooner people forget Vista happened, the happier Microsoft will be.[/citation]

I'm not sure man, Win 8 might leave the same bad taste, unless the entire world moves over to tablets pretty soon.

Vista, like ME, was just......UGH!

Windows 98SE and XP were good, but I must admit, 7 is great.

Except for no native e-mail client, like Outlook Express and whatever Vista had, Windows Mail?

G

Everyone who complaiend about vista and ME were either early adopters expecting all of their applications to just work (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Microsoft, go bitch at your vendors) or plain knob heads.

I ran windows ME for 8 years with absolutely NO problems. I also ran Vista for a solid 3-4 Years and I was running 64-bit starting from the beta age. Sure there were application compatibility issue and hiccups but that IS TO BE EXPECTED when you are adaopting a new OS that is not fully supported. Windows XP was the exact same and I didnt touch that OS until 10 years after it came out and I still hated it.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I can smell disaster for windows 8. I hated vista as well but love 7. I don't think many people are going to install 8 on their desktop. You have a few people who dual boot, and some other people who just go out and buy a new PC with it on not knowing any better but its going to flop. I think id rather switch to OSX, nah...i think ill just keep 7.

jackbling

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
[citation][nom]scythe944[/nom]I'm not sure man, Win 8 might leave the same bad taste, unless the entire world moves over to tablets pretty soon.[/citation]

using windows8 on a touchscreen is fairly fluid, if your goal is a visually appealing interface; personally ill take function over form.

instant search alone has giving back countless hours of my life since vista(i work in IT and am on a PC ~16hours a day.)

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]foscooter[/nom]Vista, like ME, was just......UGH!Windows 98SE and XP were good, but I must admit, 7 is great.Except for no native e-mail client, like Outlook Express and whatever Vista had, Windows Mail?[/citation]
There is native mail in Windows 7.

[citation][nom]foscooter[/nom]Vista, like ME, was just......UGH!Windows 98SE and XP were good, but I must admit, 7 is great.Except for no native e-mail client, like Outlook Express and whatever Vista had, Windows Mail?[/citation]
Vista was a lot better than ME. There was nothing redeeming about ME, but you can see Win 7 is a success, and it's basically Vista with some minor tweaks. The biggest difference was when Win 7 was released the computers that were available at release were good enough for the OS.

Vista was just too much for the average computer, but the hardware caught up by the time Win 7 released.

I do believe Win 8 will suffer at the desktop, while loved on the mobile phone and tablet market. Not that it will suck, but I believe Microsoft releases OS's twice as fast as the public wants them.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
I liked Windows Vista and if it hadn't been for the minimum requirement computers released with Vista, the poor press, and the lack of available drivers at launch I believe Vista would have been much more of a success. Everyone complains about Vista but rarely do they actually say what they disliked about it. It looks VERY similar to 7, has the same core drivers, and has generally the same compatibility. If you want something to be mad at MSFT about, complain about 8. Now that's trash. Vista had a couple of problems. 8 is an attack on the fundamentals Microsoft has built for Windows during the last 20 years. I agree that Microsoft releases OSes too fast but Vista was not Microsoft's fault. It was the vendors and the press that made Vista into something bad.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

I use Windows 7 ...
Still use Outlook Express (renamed windows live mail) but is still the same.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
I was actually an early adopter with XP, and I can tell you when it came out it had major issues. The IRQ steering, that was suppose to solve many of the BSOD issues due to resource conflicts wasn't working properly for example. In the bios on my kt133a board the IRQs were all different, but in Windows it would keep putting my vid card Riva TNT/2 I think and sound card AWE64 on the same IRQ, meaning the computer would hard lock any time You'd play a video game. Ended up having to force IRQ settings for a long time to work around it.

And there were quite a few differences between Vista and 7, the little bit I'd dabbled with troubleshooting on vista to see what it was like, I could tell a huge difference when 7 came out.

And Windows ME was a mixed back, either it worked for you or it didn't. It was more or less Win98se with the GDI stripped out to bare minimum. Which was ok, if you did only Windows based programs, or hardware. But, if you used a lot of ISA slot hardware, like say good soundcards of the time, or still played some games that used DOS launchers it was craptastic. Not to mention some printers that used generic dos interface based windows driver, the Okidata inkjet I had at the time, for example.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Vista was the first OS I truly understood. I was too young when the 9x line was dominating and didn't find an intrest in computers between 2000/XP. It wasn't until 2007 I started taking an intrest and began to understand Windows starting with Vista and I can honestly say that 95% of the problems I experienced was hardware related, but blamed on Vista.

Vista was released into a bad time for hardware quality. I noticed many systems had faulty motherboards, chips or overall poor design. This resulted in complains by customers to companies that had horrible support, which just added on top of the disatisfaction. So in the end, the computer illiterate customer would somehow blame it on the OS for either being too slow, crashing or just not working because the devices refuse to work.

Vista had other problems aside from this which did attribute to it's failure as a consumer product, but it takes more insults and disregard than it deserves.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Everyone complains about Vista but rarely do they actually say what they disliked about it.[/citation]

The main issue I hate about Vista is Windows Update. Have you ever run it before, especially on a fresh install? It's the most brutal task I've ever seen run on a PC. The last time I ran Windows Update on a fresh Vista install, it took nearly 12 hours on a cable modem connection to download the updates. WU takes FOREVER to scan for new updates. You may as well go take a nap while it determines what it needs.

maxinexus

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Still running strong on Vista 64 Ultimate. I can not say a single bad word about it. It is hardware challenging but it works great. Windows 7 is basically the same just a lighter version of vista...Windows 8 well what can I say..." no start button no mercy..."

[citation][nom]sporkimus[/nom]The main issue I hate about Vista is Windows Update. Have you ever run it before, especially on a fresh install? It's the most brutal task I've ever seen run on a PC. The last time I ran Windows Update on a fresh Vista install, it took nearly 12 hours on a cable modem connection to download the updates. WU takes FOREVER to scan for new updates. You may as well go take a nap while it determines what it needs.[/citation]
Windows update hasn't changed in Win 7, there just may be fewer updates now due to age.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
My company is still 75% XP and the other 25% in Windows 7. We skipped Vista. I see no reason why M$ stopped with the silly version upgrades at xp and just updated it. In the modern age (2012) there's no reason XP couldn't be updated with everything Win7 has other then to make M$ more money. Its actually pretty silly now.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So what is the native mail client of windows 7?[/citation]
Windows Live Mail is the successor to Outlook Express. It will even allow you to import/transfer an old Outlook Express mailbox to Windows Live. It is actually a pretty good free mail program, if I ever used local mail programs anymore (thank you Gmail...) They just made it easier to get rid of it because of the EU requirements.

Windows Vista was an incomplete package, but Windows 7 took most of the good from Vista (and there was a lot of good in Vista, like superior automatic plug and play, built in networking for WiFi/Blutooth, superior security) and enhanced it to make it usable.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Windows 7 will be the new Windows XP as Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista. Watch how many people that buy computers with Windows 8 on it will want to demand a downgrade to Windows 7. the avg consumor is soo used to Windows now doing a radical change will just prompt confusion and outrage, especially getting rid of the start menu. That imo was the dumbest thing MS could have done. I guess they don't realize how many people use the start menu daily, but i guess they will find out when they get a flury of backlash from consumors over the start menu being gone.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Windows 7 will be the new Windows XP as Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista. Watch how many people that buy computers with Windows 8 on it will want to demand a downgrade to Windows 7. the avg consumor is soo used to Windows now doing a radical change will just prompt confusion and outrage, especially getting rid of the start menu. That imo was the dumbest thing MS could have done. I guess they don't realize how many people use the start menu daily, but i guess they will find out when they get a flury of backlash from consumors over the start menu being gone.[/citation]
What does that make Windows 2000? IMHO, it was the speedier, sleeker, more functional older brother of XP...

[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Windows 7 will be the new Windows XP as Windows 8 will be the new Windows Vista. Watch how many people that buy computers with Windows 8 on it will want to demand a downgrade to Windows 7. the avg consumor is soo used to Windows now doing a radical change will just prompt confusion and outrage, especially getting rid of the start menu. That imo was the dumbest thing MS could have done. I guess they don't realize how many people use the start menu daily, but i guess they will find out when they get a flury of backlash from consumors over the start menu being gone.[/citation]

From everything I've seen, it's not much different without the Start button. Instead of a button, you get a popup when you move the mouse to the same location. It's more of a modification of the start button rather than complete removal.

Though I still think people will dislike Win 8, as people just don't like change until it's really needed. Windows releases too many OS's for people's comfort level.

Status
Not open for further replies.