[SOLVED] Pseudo-dead pixel flickering on one half of the screen? (LG UltraGear 27", LG GL850-B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
Monitor: LG UltraGear 27", LG GL850-B

Issue:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQ8q1yiXBQU

(Flickering pixels, left side of screen only, easiest to see against a darker background. Sorry it's really hard to capture on video, I tried turning off every light in the room and getting the phone camera up close to the screen)

I've verified that the cables are good (they work on other monitors/machines, and using other known good cables on this monitor doesn't fix the problem). I've verified that the problem is not the GPU (if I hook up a completely separate computer + cable to the monitor, the same problems show up). The problem also persists whether I use HDMI mode or DP mode (+ their respective cables). So all in all the problem seems to be the monitor itself.

It's hard to capture on video but on the lefthand side of my screen, there is a spattering of flickering pixels. It seems to be strictly on the left half, nothing wrong with the right half. The flickering pixels appear more obvious if I jack up the brightness level. The monitor is unfortunately past warranty since I bought it last November and haven't gotten around to building my machine till now.

Is this a known problem or issue? Is it indicative of a bad part that needs replacement? Or does it point to a bad solder joint somewhere? What's the most likely reason / is it something I can fix at home, or is my only real hope at this point just buying another monitor?

Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
If it's easy enough to fix myself I'd like to do so. If not then I guess I don't have much choice - the vendor I bought it from said it was no longer covered under warranty but maybe she was mistaken.

That said, even if it were covered, I get the impression it would take weeks and weeks and weeks to get it fixed (would I ship it somewhere? Take it somewhere?). At that point I'd rather just buy a new monitor if it's only a few hundred bucks.
This type of issue is likely a hardware fault so either needing new panel or main board. I have never returned anything to LG so can’t speak for how quick they are for warranty claims and it also depends what country you are in.

If the shop can’t even be bothered to check the warranty I...

MoreMoneyThanSense

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
I have the GL83A which uses the same panel, also bought last November and not had any problems. Your monitor comes with a 1 year warranty so you can still claim.

If it's easy enough to fix myself I'd like to do so. If not then I guess I don't have much choice - the vendor I bought it from said it was no longer covered under warranty but maybe she was mistaken.

That said, even if it were covered, I get the impression it would take weeks and weeks and weeks to get it fixed (would I ship it somewhere? Take it somewhere?). At that point I'd rather just buy a new monitor if it's only a few hundred bucks.

This type of issue is likely a hardware fault so either needing new panel or main board. I have never returned anything to LG so can’t speak for how quick they are for warranty claims and it also depends what country you are in.

If the shop can’t even be bothered to check the warranty I wouldn’t shop their again. No equipment like this come with less than a 1 year warranty. Go to the LG website and it states a 1 year warranty. I’d contact LG directly and when going through the return process ask on average how long it will take. You paid for a warranty, might as well use it. Even if you don’t want to wait and you buy another at least you will get a working monitor back you can sell to recoup some cost.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.