[SOLVED] PSU 4 pin atx cable and mobo has 8 pin

Aug 15, 2019
Hi, I'm making an arcade machine, and I plan on using a AMD A10-5800 both as CPU and GPU, no dedicated graphics card. My PSU is a nox urano SX 500W. This PSU only has a 4pin atx cable and the mobo is 8 pin. I know I can still use it but it's not recommendable. I also have an adapter from 2 molex to a 8 pin cable but I'm not sure if it's a molex to atx 8 pin adapter or just a normal molex to 8 pin adapter since the wires are yellow and red, and not yellow and black like usually atx cables are.

My question is, is that molex to 8 pin adapter valid (is an atx one)? And, would i make it work with just the 4 pin cable considering I won't be using a dedicated GPU?

Solution
My bad , I corrected the post . Same goes for NOX. Not very good.
I will go with it for now, the pc will be running retrOS which is a really lite OS with just the basics to run Mame, so i don't think it will be very demanding and it will last. Thanks a ton for you quick responses. After all I'l be judt playing mame with a non demanding os, so I think I'll have luck.
Aug 15, 2019
The adapter is MOST LIKELY for a Graphics Card. You should get a new PSU.
The thing here is, all the components I mentioned (CPU, PSU and MOBO) were components of my old gaming PC, which was prebuilt and I just bought it to play, so, technically (because I can't remember) when I was using that prebuilt PC, it was already using the 4 pin cable in the 8 pin, so maybe I can assume it was working fine and it will still work fine now?

EDIT: It was prebuilt by a famous PC store here in spain, it wasn't made by jsut a guy, so I assume they knew what they were doing, and afaik the A10-5800 isn't THAT power consuming, right?

Aug 15, 2019
My bad , I corrected the post . Same goes for NOX. Not very good.
I will go with it for now, the pc will be running retrOS which is a really lite OS with just the basics to run Mame, so i don't think it will be very demanding and it will last. Thanks a ton for you quick responses. After all I'l be judt playing mame with a non demanding os, so I think I'll have luck.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Solution